CRD w/ amsoil bypass filter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Jeep Liberty CRD which i just installed an amsoil bypass filter on. The vehicle does not have an oil pressure gauge but it does have a oil pressure dummy light. The oil pressure dummy light is not comming on so everything seems ok. I really would like concrete proof that everything is pumping arround in there correctly b4 i start driving this thing around. Anyone know of a way i can do this? would like to impericly measure the pressure somehow and bounce that against factory spec PSI er something

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take out the sender for the idiot light and install one for a gauge or install a temporary oil pressure gauge. You can do an inexpensive analog gauge.
The bypass filter only passes about 10% of the oil through at any one time.
Though I haven't one on the CRD, the two I've mounted on other trucks didn't change oil pressure a bit. Both rigs went over 200,000 miles with the bypass installed.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you get some pics of your install for us? Im wondering where you put everything.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics when i finish....

Soon as i get this puppy all working and put together where it isnt embaresing =) Ill put some pics up, The filter asembly BARELY fit behind the battery between the battery and the ESP unit, had to re-route a wire harness back there to fit it. Replacing the filters will require an oil bucket to avoid leaking oil everywhere, but i think its going to work out.

1/2 the reason for this was to avoid having the oil can knocked off when off roading (CRD's have a rather vulerable position for the oil can), the skid plate is more expensive than the bypass kit and more work when it comes time to replace the oil can....I am slightly worried about the heat of the OIL cans but the engine compartment is all hot anyways so not too worried. Pics to come soon, prolly need the weekend to complete and make it look clean.

P.S. is the oil sender signal on my CRD easy to find? will a pep-boys oil pressure gauge come w/ another sender? Im hoping to mount a totaly new oil press gauge on the bypass block and run it to the cabin (bypass block has two taps on the other side i was hoping to use) So i can measure the press right there at the filter, and have the idiot light measure for engine as intended.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far...

heres some pics so far, still want to put angle brackets on the underside to protect the oil hoses better will post pics when i get that going.....

bypass placement:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...&friendID=162830428&albumID=0&imageID=4191981

oil pressure gauge:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...&friendID=162830428&albumID=0&imageID=4191998

went old school, couldnt get the new fangled electronic one to work right. the one i got was 12 clams at autozone. PSI it bounces around a lot when i throttle then let off 30psi ~ 80psi. whats normal psi? didnt measure b4 i started =(

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSI sounds good to me. The diesel companies that list a preference pretty much say minimum oil pressure, no load idle, 8 -10 lbs minium. Most alarm around there somewhere.