CRD Boost pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the maximum boost pressure on a 2.5 CRD is? When I get home and put mine back together I'd like to see if my turbo waste gate is still set right. I've seen 20 psi quoted for the 2.8.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "turbo waste gate is still set right?"

The 2.5 Turbo is quite different to the 2.8 Turbos....the 2002 Service Manuals describe how it works. I have a 2002 Export CRD.

I have always found that I get better performance if I block one of the thin tubes on the small black solenoid near the Turbo. This solenoid has an electrical connector on it which would give you an error code if you disconnect it but what I have done is I pull off the outer pipe...screw a small screw into the exposed male plastic tube to block it and fit the loose rubber pipe over the screw head so it all looks normal.

This was a tip from Papaindigo from Spain many years ago! ;)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the EGR valve solenoid? (My EGR has been 'sorted' so no issues there) As far as I'm aware the turbo on mine is a conventional waste gate unit. I'll go through the manual and check, I'm offshore at the moment so I can't just stick my head under the bonnet.
I was just wondering if the spring in the waste gate was in need of a tweak after 20 years service but I can't find the original boost pressure.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours a "fixed vane" or "variable vane" turbo?

The 2.5 L is a fixed vane turbo.

What date was your Jeep produced?
Maybe some mixup during the change from 2.5 fixed vane and the 2.8 variable vane turbos which would have been about mid 2003!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check what PSI you are getting....should be a bit less than the Variable Vane 2.8L CRDs I believe.

Then try doing the procedure I outlined above and see if PSI goes up! ;)

My May 2002 2.5 CRD came out with Drum Brakes at the rear......2 months later they came out with Disk brakes at the rear!:rolleyes:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put my gauge on it when I home & have finished welding it. I've been through the book and all I can see is the EGR solenoid?

Latest posts

Members online