Crashed 2002 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr.KJtuff

Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while, had been enjoying my Liberty when a drunk driver smashed into it on 1/9/19. Clipped the right rear corner spinning it around 180 degrees. Snapped the axle on that side, breaking the wheel off at the drum. So, I am going to junkyard tomorrow morning to retrieve a complete rear end assembly. Going to be cold, wondering what is the fastest and easiest way to remove? I also have to grab the rear fender flare and rear bumper. Feeling pretty comfortable grabbing both of those. Just looking for some easy advise for the rear end removal?

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while, had been enjoying my Liberty when a drunk driver smashed into it on 1/9/19. Clipped the right rear corner spinning it around 180 degrees. Snapped the axle on that side, breaking the wheel off at the drum. So, I am going to junkyard tomorrow morning to retrieve a complete rear end assembly. Going to be cold, wondering what is the fastest and easiest way to remove? I also have to grab the rear fender flare and rear bumper. Feeling pretty comfortable grabbing both of those. Just looking for some easy advise for the rear end removal?

Thanks

Pretty easy to drop the rear diff, remove shocks, lower control arms upper control arm, and on yours will have to remove brake line since it has drums, ( later models with calipers super easy)
Make sure you get one with correct gearing to match yours

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.. once you see that there are really only about 4 attachment points for the rear axle, shocks, upper control arm, lower control arms, driveshaft... it'll drop down fairly easy.

Actually.. if jacked up a bit, once released, it may be easier to just jack the vehicle up higher and leave the axle on the ground, tires to pavement and just roll (drag?) it out from under the vehicle.

Sorry to hear about the crash, glad you're fixing it rather than scrapping it!

mr.KJtuff

Reaction score
Do you think I should grab the trailing arms too, or do you think they would have been strong enough to not sustain any damage? Frame did get bent. Please advise?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, frame did NOT get bent!

Hard to see if the rear lower control arms are good or not when bolted on, but after removing one end, you can look at them
Every 4.10 rear diff I have gotten from a yard had shocks, LCAs etc still attached

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If broken wheel I’m guessing lca got bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.KJtuff

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I was able to get all the parts at the junkyard this morning, with little difficulty. Now the repairs will begin to get it back on the road! Will advise when I rejoin the fray! Thanks again for all the helpful advise! I appreciate it!