couple quick questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it dangerous to drive with crushed clevis bushings?

and what color is power steering fluid supposed to be?

Thanks, Chase

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And one more.. seems that every time I open my hood I notice the large diameter hose from top right of rad and the skinnier overflow hose above it keep getting coated with something shiny.. its hard to tell but sometimes smells like coolant but its thick and sludge like and there aren't any leaks.. The two hoses get evenly covered with the stuff. Idk what to do. Ill wipe it off completely then next time I look its back.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering fluid leak spraying onto the coolant hoses? Otherwise i would guess coolant leak. Is level in your reservoir down at all?? Thats also the most common place these radiators fail is around the drivers side upper hose.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the power steering fluid, black is not good! Have you ever had a power steering flush and the rad flushed before? You could take it in for a proper power steering flush or temporarily suction out the power steering reservoir, which holds just over 1/3 a litre, and get some new ATF+4 fluid in there, then run it for a day or two and do it over again. That would really help to get some fresher fluid in there.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year jeep, 02+03 had regular p/s fluid, mine when I changed it was very dark black,
and I read that if you upgrade to atf +4 from regular p/s fluid you have to make sure you get all the old fluid out, for me it wasn't worth the trouble,
so I bought 1gal of p/s fluid from advanced auto parts for 16$ pyroid(sp) is says on the bottle it meets the Chrysler spec for regular power steering fluid, cycled 1/2 gallon through the system, now it looks light amber again

also if you go to the dealer they will try to sell you mopar p/s + fluid which is just atf+4 and my dealer no longer carries regular p/s fluid, they told me to go to any parts store and get there brand