Copper flakes in radiator fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techmaster242

Reaction score
My girlfriend's 04 3.7L liberty with 170,000 miles has been having heat issues. A few months ago I replaced the thermostat and drained/filled the coolant. This past week it came back. The AC started blowing hot and the engine temp got high. I figured it was the relay, so I picked one up while I was out. Came back home and looked at the car, and discovered a crack on the plastic side tank of the radiator. On the driver's side, right on the top. So I returned the relay and got a new radiator and more fluid.

I got everything swapped out. I only got 1/2 gallon of fluid out, but put 2 gallons in after the swap. Engine temps are MUCH better now, and the temp gauge stays steady just under the 1/2 mark. From what I can tell, the oil looks fine, coolant looks fine, and the exhaust seems like it's not burning anything. So I may be okay as far as the head and head gasket.

The main thing that has me concerned now, is there was some little copper flakes in the fluid that came out of the bottom of the radiator. Anyone know what this could be? Maybe from the old thermostat? Or pieces from the water pump? Or worse? Some googling looks like there are some radiator sealing products out there that contain metal flakes. Could it be that the previous owner used one of these products? Or do I have a different issue on my hands? I'm going to attach a photo. Hopefully somebody here can provide some insight.

Attachments

• 20130914_131328.jpg
    20130914_131328.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 29

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These rad always leak at that place for some reason. Just get a new rad flush everything good and it should be fine.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot think of one thing in the cooling system that is copper.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum - don't be a stranger!

One thing you need to be sure of is that you use HOAT coolant - any of the "universal" coolants are destructive and will ruin your cooling system.

NAPA sells Zerex G-05, which is HOAT coolant. If you use any other anti-freeze the water pump, seals and other parts of the system will be damaged and then you'll have a real problem on your hands.

Time for another flush 'n fill :Insane:

Bob

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet this is no where good in these rad. As we say over here many time a mont. Get a new OEM rad, almost every replacement suck, and start fresh.