coolent types for 2002 Liberty v6 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted earlier on this thread on a leaking water pump after replacement of hoses. I am confused. I used Prestone Extended life antifreeze that read is compatible with any system. But I know I did't get all of it out of the vehicle when I replaced the hoses and thermostat and put in about 1 gallon of water and 1 gallon of antifreeze.
I bled the system out and seemed to get all the air out.

But because there was the red (very light pink when it came out) coolent still in engine block, could this have caused the pump to fail?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prestone coolant made is the correct coolant for your KJ.If it say's "universal" or "all makes/models" on the bottle it's OAT coolant which is better known a dexcool and does not play well with your cooling system designed for HOAT coolant.You can not mix HOAT coolant or OAT coolants either unless you like sludge.

Go to a Chrysler dealer and pick up the MOPAR coolant,Ford's Premium Gold coolant is HOAT,as is Zerex GO5.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading these posts and have probably not got the correct coolant either. I drained and refilled with a red extended life coolant, but I am pretty sure now that it is not HOAT. The problem is how do you get those last few liters out of the block? Getting to the block drain plugs is virtually impossible, I don't know why they even fitted the engine with them.