Coolant Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gayle.woods

Reaction score
Does anybody know at what temperature the ECM commands the cooling fan relay(s) ON and OFF? 2005 KJ 3.7 Auto

Thanks....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
here is some information from tjkj2002 years back

Your temp gauge is only a relative gauge,does not truely give you actual temps.When the needle is at the halfway mark the engine temp is below 255 degrees,when the needle is at 3/4 your engine temp is between 256 degrees and 268 degrees,and all the way over in the red zone the engine temp is above 269 degrees(3.7 engines only).

The t-state in the KJ starts to open at 195 degrees and does not fully open til 218 degrees.The electric fan does not turn on till 203 degrees and shuts off under 198 degrees if you have AC.

Not sure what exactly ya want but this may help

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always kicked on low at 217F. I THINK high is 230F, but Ive never seen that.

It will also kick low on for the trans temp, but idk what temp that is. Seems mine was always on when the trans was above 230F.

gayle.woods

Reaction score
here is some information from tjkj2002 years back

Your temp gauge is only a relative gauge,does not truely give you actual temps.When the needle is at the halfway mark the engine temp is below 255 degrees,when the needle is at 3/4 your engine temp is between 256 degrees and 268 degrees,and all the way over in the red zone the engine temp is above 269 degrees(3.7 engines only).

The t-state in the KJ starts to open at 195 degrees and does not fully open til 218 degrees.The electric fan does not turn on till 203 degrees and shuts off under 198 degrees if you have AC.

Not sure what exactly ya want but this may help
That’s what I was looking for. My scanner shows me the coolant temp and voltage. I just did not know at what temp the the computer commands the fan to run. Thanks again.