Coolant Reservoir Life Expectancy--2006

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
I would have thought Jeep learned from the Renix era XJ's that pressurized plastic coolant reservoirs are just trouble waiting to happen. I owned an '86 back in the day. Dealer new purchase. Trouble within a year.

What service life is typical of pressurized reservoirs on the KJ?

Are there more durable options?

On the early XJ we substituted brass tanks from Triumph sports cars, of all things. But, hey, they solved the problem! And fit real nice.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to replace my mopar one as it started leaking around the neck.
My jb weld seal didn't cut it so I just installed an aftermarket overflow tank.
will see how long it lasts......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
04 bought new, still OE tank and no issues with over 230,000 miles
same with the 03 and 05 both of them over 100,000 miles and no issues
of course I do regular maintenance on every fluid
Very few have issues from what I have seen over the last 15 years

Burro II

Reaction score
...Very few have issues from what I have seen over the last 15 years

That's good to know. Turns out though that mine seems to be leaking around the joint at the neck and bottle. Will keep an eye on it. Leaking makes a mess under the hood.

About $75 range is new replacement cost.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious Brian on your after market overflow cap, does it state 16psi?
Mopar cap spec is 16 psi.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim,

the cap that came with it was not stamped with the safety pressure release value but I tested it at 16psi. My old non-mopar motorad cap (stamped w/ 15psi(?)) relief pressure tested at about 12 psi.

This is assuming the gauge loaner tool is accurate.

Burro II

Reaction score
Mine seemed to be leaking with the cap that come when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Cap gaskets were cracked so I figured that was likely the problem. I replaced it with a NAPA 16 psi cap. Most of the problem went away, but not all.

FWIW

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not on the KJ but just replaced the one on my 07 LR3 at 175k.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine seemed to be leaking with the cap that come when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Cap gaskets were cracked so I figured that was likely the problem. I replaced it with a NAPA 16 psi cap. Most of the problem went away, but not all.

FWIW

Another area I only use MOPAR
Had enough radiator caps go bad over the years from " parts stores " that I dn't trust them
Changed the cap out on the 04 with a NAPA one at 75,000 miles, worked a month. Went and picked up a MOPAR and no more issues
same with thermostats etc

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2. My OE seal tore so I went to the dealer for a new one and they didn't have it in stock, wanted $90, so I bought a Stant one at an autopart store and the KJ just started taking forever to warm up (had new radiator and Tstat, both Mopar), founded the right Mopar one on eBay for $10, put it on and back to normal.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought carid was a scam website, and that if I ordered anything there I would simply never receive it.

Of course I never tried or did research because I really dont like how they flood their results pages with photos of universal garbage. Makes the site very clickbaity feeling.

Burro II

Reaction score
I always thought carid was a scam website, and that if I ordered anything there I would simply never receive it.

Of course I never tried or did research because I really dont like how they flood their results pages with photos of universal garbage. Makes the site very clickbaity feeling.

Yeah, I hear you on this. First item I ever bought from them. Clearly they are just a sales front. But it was a Dorman part, so I felt OK about it.

Since they sponsor this website I though I would give them a try. Quick delivery. Right part. Good quality. Can't complain.

But I do have to agree that their websites seems to be a lot of useless dress up stuff for mall rated rice burners.