coolant mix up question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kid was 2 hours from home and PS pump went out. Bearing was coming apart.She was blessed enough that People where she worked changed the pump not once but twice. The first new one last night leaked so they did it again today. Very lucky kid while at college!

On the road home and just mentioned something about they told her to have me check the coolant! The small light in my head goes off. She called they back to make sure. My guess is they took the top hose off for ease of access. They added green back in. I had Zerex g-05 in it. No idea how much was added back.

Do I need to drain everything and start over?? How do I get all of it out? This stuff is about 20$ a gallon !

Minor deal in the long run. She could have been stuck somewhere with a tow bill and shop rate repair. Thankful she works with good people.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think yes, you need a coolant flush. HOAT plus the green stuff will get clumpy over time and cause issues by plugging up the heater core, radiator, or the engine passages. Best to get it out now. You’ll need to flush the system with a hose most likely. Glad you caught it / that she mentioned it now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes , drain, flush, fill with distilled water , run it up to temp then drain and flush again.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. that is what I was afraid of. Yes, lucky they said something and she mentioned it. Radiator, water pump and thermostat are all less than two years old. Jackie , as she calls it was bought with 50k on it 8 years ago privately from someone we knew. It has 155k on it now .made it through H.S and almost 4 yrs of college with minimal repairs. Need about a 1 1/2 for grad school. She can buy her own then !

No pep boys around here. Oreilly's , Autozone and sometimes Napa. Most of my repairs are need to fix now to get to work, school,... Have kind of been partial to Autozone because their reward program does not take long to get 20$ back. Here lately I have done a little comparison shopping on a few items.. starting to find better deals

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online