Coolant in oil......Need help/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudtrackerinc

Reaction score
Little bit of background, I have a 2002 Limited with around 50,000miles, I bought it used at the end of April '06 and have had to take it back to have the head replaced TWICE! A few weeks ago I took it in for the first oil change, they tell me that I have coolant in my oil and while it could be from where they worked on the past 2 times, they don't think it is. The tech then says he figured out the problem, I need a new radiator cap, and being the nice guy that he is, will just pull one from another Libby sitting on the lot so I can be on my way. A week and a half later, losing coolant, could not see it in the oil at this point took it back, again I need a new cap. this time they will order me one and in the mean time I can drive it. Now 2 weeks later I am getting ready to take it back in, coolant in the oil at about 2 quarts overfull. I'm thinking that they are screwing around because it is under warranty, I may have paid out the rear for it, but gotta love an extended warranty, in less than six months it has paid for itself.

Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A radiator cap has ZERO to do with oil in the coolant. or vice versa. Coolant and oil should be completely separate. When coolant and oil end up in the same place, it usually means that a head gasket is leaking. Sometimes it can be a waterpump problem. I speak in generalities here because I don't know the specifics of the Liberty gaskets and water pumps. Maybe you did need a new cap, but the cap has nothing to do with coolant and oil being in the same place, nor will it "fix" such a problem. They need to do real diagnostic work.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The cap has nothing to do with it mixing with the oil. If your pressure cap were bad, you'd probably be losing coolant out of the cap (as it wouldn't be holding pressure when hot like its supposed to).

I've heard of a couple of 3.7L's needing a head job, so i dont think you're the first.

A simple way to tell if you're coolant and oil are mixing is if you pull the dipstick out, and the oil looks creamy....like a chocolate milkshake.

My guess, if the oil and coolant are mixing, is you've got a bad head gasket. I WOULD NOT drive it if you're mixing coolant with oil....the two dont get along very well together, and it will destroy your engine before too long.

mudtrackerinc

Reaction score
To update: I took it back to the dealer this morning after my first post. I pretty much knew the cap wasn't the problem, but they have their "steps" of BS that they have to go through. They are supposed to look at it today and let me know what is wrong with it. HELLO! There is coolant in the oil, let's pull your head out of your butt and go from there.

I'll update when I find out what they say.

Thanks!

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop driving it, the coolant in the quantities you describe will result in bearing damage, unless of course they are going to replace the motor. I can't believe they did this and sent you on your way, a pressure check will confirm and also a sniff test on the coolant. What the heck is wrong with some of these dealers, they are useless.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, some story. If they can't figure it out after today, then take it to another dealer. Lord help them!

Sorry for your problems by the way, and let us know.

mudtrackerinc

Reaction score
Got the Jeep back today. They replaced the water pump gasket, timing cover and oil filter. They were also nice enough to replace the thermostat and it's housing (???) because when they took the timing cover off it was they said it was cracked.

I'm sure there will be more to this, driving it today after I got it back one of the belts was squealing like a pig, just when I would get on it a little bit though and when I parked it for the night it smelled hot, could be the coolant and oil they spilled all over the place.

The only reason I keep taking it back to this dealer is 1. it's close 2. they are the one's that sold it to me, I think it should be their punishment to fix it and to have to deal with me.

Thanks!

lostrenegade

Reaction score
It really sounds like a head gasket is bad. I have had this problem with other vehicles that I had. Be careful of overheating and dilution of the oil. You could damage things even more if it is left to long.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend, if it is the head gasket, your looking at spending lots of money unless you have warranty, and still it's up to the dealership to state whether warranty covers head gasket and the overhaul that comes with it. In general, if it is the head gasket, they will have to order a replacement, that is a used one from a wrecker perhaps, pressure test it, and then install it. Usually about $2000.00 with parts and labour, I figure if it's not under warranty.

fuji

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fujitsubo said:
my friend, if it is the head gasket, your looking at spending lots of money unless you have warranty, and still it's up to the dealership to state whether warranty covers head gasket and the overhaul that comes with it. In general, if it is the head gasket, they will have to order a replacement, that is a used one from a wrecker perhaps, pressure test it, and then install it. Usually about $2000.00 with parts and labour, I figure if it's not under warranty.

fuji

2002 libbys had the 10yr/100k mile drivetrain warranty so I would say hes covered.

mudtrackerinc

Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty, which by now in less than 6 months has already paid for itself. This is the same dealer that has replaced the head on it twice, the first time with a refurbed and then 2 weeks later with a brand new one. I believe that the head gasket would be covered under the they half-a$$ed it the last time warranty.

I know they don't want to replace the engine, but by now, it would have been cheaper in the long run. If I have to take it back one more time, I've already warned them that they will be taking the thing back for good.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
fujitsubo said:

fuji

2002 libbys had the 10yr/100k mile drivetrain warranty so I would say hes covered.

I thought it was 7/70? I know I've got the 7/70 powertrain on mine.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoaaa.. 10/100 you guys were lucky!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
7/100, not 10/100.

Are you sure? One of my friends use to have an 02 and always told me it was 10yr/100k powertrain? He may of been wrong, Idk?

I know its 7yr/70k powertrain on mine, which is an 04.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, DCM changed the warranty coverage a couple of times. I was paying attention then because I bought a new '02 in April of that year, but I cannot recall the specifics. Many people also bought extended warranties.

mudtrackerinc

Reaction score
Got a call from the fabulous dealer today, they let me leave with the Jeep and not pay the deductible on the warranty (purchased extended), not my fault idiots! I did tell them that this was the 3rd time they have been into this engine and I had already given 2 trys with this problem before they finally looked farther than the radiator cap.

I told the service writer that I would be calling my warranty people and talking to them. I did and now have to call back tomorrow to get someone higher up.

What fun!