Convert 45RFE to NV3550

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it begins:

Removing center console:
You must be registered for see images attach

Found out I will have to replace the plate under the console as it does not have the cutout to match the one in the floor for the manual trans shifter.

The brake pedal was easy to pull out. Hopefully I don't have to change the bracket the pedals hang on - that will require pulling the steering column. There is a cutout for the clutch pedal, but the bracket that the pedals hang on has a part id sticker on it that identifies it as being for an automatic.

Looks like a Jeep threw up:

The patient:

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that patient the donor vehicle or the innocent victim? lol

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some more work on the Jeep in preparation for the transmissions arrival this week. Finished removing the automatic shift cables:

I removed the cable that goes from the console to the ignition switch. It keeps you from removing the keys and locking the wheel when the transmission isn't in park. Hopefully I can replace it with the push button that the manual transmission vehicles use.

I discovered the plate that holds the brake vacuum booster and clutch master cylinder doesn't have the cutout for the master cyl, so I removed the battery, ECU and brake master cyl. Then I pulled the plate holding the vacuum booster.

Removed the flywheel, starter and automatic transmission cooler lines. All done for now until the transmission shows up.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Got the driveshafts for it too?

I asked for the rear driveshaft, but the Liberty the transmission is coming out of has the NP241. I still need to replace my NP231, but this wrecker wants too much for the NP241. So I need to find a driveshaft that will work with the NSG370 and the NP231 in a 2002 Liberty. The front driveshaft is supposed to be the same.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Have tjkj2002 send his to ThunderbirdJunkie, and reimburse ThunderbirdJunkie for gas, he will deliver transfer case to your door :p

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the NSG370 complete with NP241 will be arriving tomorrow. They gave me a good deal on the transfer case, so I got that as well. I have a feeling the input shaft on the 241 is different than the 231 and I didn't want to have to be tearing apart a 231 to get the input shaft to match the 370. The only problem is they crushed the driveshaft when they lifted the jeep to pull the ****** so I'll have to figure out what is going to work.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the NSG370 and NP241 today. All the other bits are arriving tomorrow. One thing that stood out right away is the NSG370 is 2" shorter than the 45RFE. This means I need a 2" shorter front driveshaft and a 2" longer rear one. The exhaust hanger and transmission mounts are going to be in the wrong place. This means I will need the crossmember and I will have to reweld the hanger on the exhaust.

I also discovered the little tag on my transfer case. It said NP242! Oops. I looked more closely at the shift handle and saw the FT 4x4 tag. Apparently the select trac won't work with the standard transmission anyway. So I'll have to make sure I get the shift handle for the command trac transfer case.

The output shaft of the 241 is also 1/2" shorter than the 242 and has an aluminum cover over it where the 242 doesn't. But all the spline counts are the same.

Probably need a pilot bearing too. Off to go check...

Last edited:

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the rest of the parts showed up today:

The crossmember and ****** mount are different than the auto. The auto ****** starter seems to work though. I did have to pick up a pilot bearing, but it fit right in to the crankshaft.

The NSG360:

After a couple of hours of wrenching - and a few beers:

The clutch pedal and the brake pedal bolted right in. It was probably the easiest thing to do in this whole conversion.

I will still have to get a shift boot from a 2002 as the 2005 doesn't fit my 2002 console.

And the rear driveshaft actually did get included with the parts. They just torched the one u-joint to get it out - easy fix. Good thing I got the driveshaft as the transfer case output shaft is different (same spline though):

NP241 on the left NP242 on the right.

Also got the shift handle to convert it from Select Trac to Command Trac. Lots still to do. Gotta get some sleep now...

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ran into a couple of snags today. The 05 console plate didn't have a clearance in it for the airbag module. Not much of a problem. Cut a notch out of it with a cutoff wheel. Can't find the picture at the moment.

The bigger snag was when I went to put in the 05 manual transmission crossmember. The 05 crossmember will not fit my 02. The body bolt holes are not in the right place. Hopefully I can find an 02 manual transmission crossmember and the NSG370 transmission mount will bolt up to it. If not, it's going to take some fab work...

On the plus side, the 02 auto trans starter works perfectly with the NSG370. They must have changed the wiring connectors and that's why the 05 starter is a different part number than the 02.

I talked to a guy at the Jeep dealership today who told me they don't have the ability to flash ECUs to a different configuration - only to update them. If I pick up another ECU, I will apparently have problems with the skip module. Gotta do some more reading to figure this out.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ran into a couple of snags today. The 05 console plate didn't have a clearance in it for the airbag module. Not much of a problem. Cut a notch out of it with a cutoff wheel. Can't find the picture at the moment.

The bigger snag was when I went to put in the 05 manual transmission crossmember. The 05 crossmember will not fit my 02. The body bolt holes are not in the right place. Hopefully I can find an 02 manual transmission crossmember and the NSG370 transmission mount will bolt up to it. If not, it's going to take some fab work...

On the plus side, the 02 auto trans starter works perfectly with the NSG370. They must have changed the wiring connectors and that's why the 05 starter is a different part number than the 02.

I talked to a guy at the Jeep dealership today who told me they don't have the ability to flash ECUs to a different configuration - only to update them. If I pick up another ECU, I will apparently have problems with the skip module. Gotta do some more reading to figure this out.

yea dealerships don't reprogram or flash ECU to different configurations I tried 6 difrent dilerships in houston I gave up on them

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no 02 manual crossmembers up in my area. So I'm cutting up the 02 auto and the 05 manual. Welding the ends of the 02 to the center section of the 05. Should have that finished up tomorrow.

Also, picked up an 02 shift boot today. Got home and realized it is exactally the same as the 02. The consoles are different. So, I'll be hacking up the auto shifter bezel and gluing the leather shift boot to the edges of that. Should work. I think. Failing that, I'll have to go looking for a black manual console in good shape.

Still no further ahead on a game plan for the ECU. Apparently I would have to swap in the ECU, BCM and SKIM module AND a key. And there is no guarantees that would work. Gotta be someone out there that can flash update these ECUs...

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no 02 manual crossmembers up in my area. So I'm cutting up the 02 auto and the 05 manual. Welding the ends of the 02 to the center section of the 05. Should have that finished up tomorrow.

Also, picked up an 02 shift boot today. Got home and realized it is exactally the same as the 02. The consoles are different. So, I'll be hacking up the auto shifter bezel and gluing the leather shift boot to the edges of that. Should work. I think. Failing that, I'll have to go looking for a black manual console in good shape.

Still no further ahead on a game plan for the ECU. Apparently I would have to swap in the ECU, BCM and SKIM module AND a key. And there is no guarantees that would work. Gotta be someone out there that can flash update these ECUs...

so you are going all at it without having a game plan with the electronics??? Man I hope everything works out, keep us update it ur doind a hell of a job there

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you are going all at it without having a game plan with the electronics??? Man I hope everything works out, keep us update it ur doind a hell of a job there

Well, I only see one issue with still leaving the auto trans ECU in there in that I have to set the transmission range selector to P or N in order to get it to start, but I suspect the ECU will put a rev limiter on me in those settings while I'm driving. I should be able to rewire the starting circuit to by-pass the ECU signal and then I can set the transmission range selector to D and hopefully it will work. Just have to live with a check engine light.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to work today, so I didn't get much work done on the swap. I'm still working on welding up the crossmember - should be stronger than stock when I'm done.

Also got it to start without the auto trans in it. Grounded pin 3 (blk/white wire) on the transmission connector. This allows the PCM to think the Jeep is in park. I'm not sure how the PCM is going to react when I start driving and it thinks it's in park though. HP Tuners may have JTEC support soon, so I may be able to flash the PCM to a manual version one day.

Backup lights are next. According to the wiring diagram, when pin 6 on the transmission connector (brn/lt green wire) is grounded the reverse lights should come on. Easy wiring for that one...