Convert 45RFE to NV3550

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Convert 45RFE to NSG370

I've got a blown 45RFE in my 02 Liberty and I'm going to swap in a NV3550. I've done a couple of automatic to manual swaps on other vehicles so I'm familiar with what generally is required.

I haven't seen anyone that has done it on a KJ and posted about it. Anyone know if it has successfully been done? Any issues with swapping the pedal assemblies, mounting the master cyl, ecu, wiring, etc?

Thanks,

EDIT: Going to swap in a NSG370 now...

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't say anyone on here recently has made such a swap, but that doesn't mean it can't be done...

Welcome btw

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Why not go whole hog with an NSG370?
Don't have any advice for the swap...but let ThunderbirdJunkie know if he can take that 45RFE off your hands ;)

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you'd want the 45RFE. It sound like rocks in a cement mixer and it looks like something is trying to escape from the ****** pan... I'm suspecting the planetary gearset grenaded, but I'll know more when I drop the pan tomorrow...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you live?
This is relevant to ThunderbirdJunkie's interest.

Also, NSG370 is a better transmission. By comparison, the 3550 feels like you're rowing a canoe through pea gravel.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Ontario.

Is the NSG370 a direct bolt-in for the NV3550? There are actually more NSG370s than NV3550s in the wrecking yards up here so that might be an option.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know, but all 4x4s with the 370 had the 241 transfer case, too. You'll obviously want to pull the driveshafts from the donor, either way.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look into that. First things first is to find a donor Jeep so I can all the pedals, bellhousing, flywheel and ECU. I'm hoping I can find one in a wrecker close by me.

I'm not that far from Ohio - I've actually driven down to Cleveland to get an engine before. I don't think there will be much usable in the 45RFE, but you can have it if ya want it.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Hamilton. About 350mi away. A bit of a drive - nothing out of the ordinary for me - I've gone to Tennessee to pick up car parts before. 18h straight there and back...

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant imagine that they would have an auto and a manual shell. I just converted my talon from auto to manual, biggest pain i found was the pulling and installing the pedals. You should really do a lot of pictures and make a write up, in the future i forse many more people doing, or have to do this

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like there is only one shell for AT/MT, There is a cutout in the floor for the shifter for the MT. But, searching on car-part.com tells me:

1. For 2002-2004 the NV3550 requires a special manual version of the NP231.
2. The manual NP231 has different driveshafts than the auto version.
3. The NSG370 from 2005+ uses and will apparently bolt up to the auto NP231's from 02+.
4. The NSG370 uses a different rear driveshaft than the auto, but the same front one.
5. The NV3550 and the NSG370 use different flywheels.
6. The NV3550 and the NSG370 use different starters.

Can anyone verify this info?

It appears my 45RFE may be good and my NP231 is what blew up. But it could be that the 45RFE is bad and the NP231 got destroyed by towing when the 45RFE blew up. This happened before I purchased the vehicle so I have no way of knowing.

So it looks like I will need a NSG370 transmission, bellhousing, flywheel, and starter. A 2002+ NP231 and a new rear driveshaft. Also I will need clutch pedals, a clutch master cyl and line, shifter, shifter boot and ECU. Probably need to change the instrument cluster eventually as well.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The 231's got a chain that's often neglected. That chain stretches and goes boom ya know, it's not gonna do you any favors.
nice thing is, you can get a 231 ultra cheap. tjkj2002 may still have one

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the NP231 is toast. Not a drop of oil in it when I took it apart. The planetary gearset seized and exploded. So my 45RFE might still be good. But I don't really feel like doing all the work to put it back in and finding out it's toast. Besides, I really the idea of the 6spds first gear combined with the 3.73 gears. Can't find a reasonably priced NSG370 anywhere though. Uggh.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the NP231 is toast. Not a drop of oil in it when I took it apart. The planetary gearset seized and exploded. So my 45RFE might still be good. But I don't really feel like doing all the work to put it back in and finding out it's toast. Besides, I really the idea of the 6spds first gear combined with the 3.73 gears. Can't find a reasonably priced NSG370 anywhere though. Uggh.
Got a nice low mileage '02 231,the fluid was changed every 6000miles with ATF+4,no leaks,and only 68,000miles on it.Does not include the position sensor but will include the whole shifter assembly(including the cable).$200 shipped in the lower 48.

Takes only about 1 hour to R&I a t-case in a KJ.

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 shipped in the lower 48.

Takes only about 1 hour to R&I a t-case in a KJ.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in the lower 48. :) I've got a wrecker up here that's got a bunch of them for $100 ea, so I think I'll take my chances with one of them.

Anyone know where I can get a NSG370 for a good price? Ontario, upstate NY, MI, OH area?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
teckman02 is always hittin up the junkyards here in Ohio.

You COULD have tjkj2002 ship the xfer case to somebody up in Toledo. This would be the perfect time to install a currie 2 low kit and a teraflex 4:1 kit too:D

Reddok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'm gonna be the guinea pig for the 6spd swap. I've got pedals, master cyl, clutch, flywheel, starter, transfer case, mounts and driveshaft coming from a wrecked 06 Liberty.

I'll be pulling wiring diagrams in the next couple of days to figure out the clutch pedal switch and whatever else I'll need. Also have to figure out if the gear ratio change is going to effect anything.

What happens when you guys swap rear gear ratios? ECU change? Reflash?