connecting iPhone to 2006 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the Neo label on the top, that unit looks identical to the USA-Spec unit I installed in my 05 Renny. Even the part numbers are similar. As long as your factory radio has the controls for the external disk changer, it will work. Funny, I look at my radio everyday and I can't remember what is on button one. It either says disk or has an up arrow.
The USA-Spec adapter does every thing the Neo-Pro link does and because of the way it looks I wonder if both units are the same, marketed under different names. I got mine on sale, but the list price was comparable.

I would not buy the USA Spec unit again. It works, but not as advertised.
I can deal with some of the features not working as advertized, but what really annoys me is the random bursts of static through the right speaker. It only does it in i-pod mode, doesn't matter if my ipod is connected on not. Sometimes it's so bad I just turn it off and listen to CD's. Because I mainly listened to my SAT radio, I didn't realize there was a problem with the ipod interface until after the warranty was up.

On the plus side, it was nice to hit disk 5 for the ipod and disk 6 to switch to SAT radio. Disk 1 through 4 are supposed to access play lists on the ipod, but mine never worked. When there isn't static on the right channel, everything sounds very nice. For the SAT radio, it was a big upgrade from the FM modulator.

I use mine with an iPod Touch 4th gen and a Delphi SkyFi II sat receiver.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the title of this thread all I could think about was Knight Rider and "why would you connect your phone to your Jeep:freak3:". Then I realized people have smartphones/mp3:smokin:.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had another unit I bought at best buy when I got my jeep. I had a static in my right speaker sometimes also. A guy at an audio shop said maybe my switches on the unit could be changed and fix that but I personally just spent a few extra dollars and got a USB/iPod/mp3 head unit. I also put a 12" in the back so I had the amp outputs and everything. That's just my opinion.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Neb1373. If I were to do it again, I'd go new head unit with all the goodies built in. There were some nice looking head units in the low $200 range that had usb, bluetooth, rca in-out and so on. The adapter I bought went on sale so it went from being a little cheaper to 50% cheaper and that made me choose the USA-Spec adapter.

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some aftermarket Head unit and it's the best choice you'll ever made!! CAn control the ipod trough the radio and title show in the main screen... PERFECT and a lot less head crackin!

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although on the other hand, I had a convertible and had a head unit stolen. I wanted to keep it low key that's why I bought the iSimple kit, but now I have to keep my jeep locked up wherever I go because I have a unit. Also tinted windows to tone it down a bit.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Those transmitters are not large-metropolis-friendly. Not any really clear stations around these parts, and so your transmission from your ipod always sounds like ass. :( That's why I went with the direct line-in, sacrificing the CD changer (that I really didn't use much anyway). Win-win for me.

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought an FM transmitter for our iPhone...
I works very well!
Nice thing about it is that if you are out with
a few other vehicles. they can tune into the came
FM frequency and then you have multiple vehicles
pumping out the same tunes!

Really? The one I had I could barely get to come through on my radio clearly. I did notice that it was much clearer with it plugged into the Jeep to charge. Also, on long trips through cities the quality will degrade as you move around due to radio interference.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Really? The one I had I could barely get to come through on my radio clearly. I did notice that it was much clearer with it plugged into the Jeep to charge. Also, on long trips through cities the quality will degrade as you move around due to radio interference.

Ya, that happens to us as well!

I tune the radio to one of the lowest FM frequencies, 87.5 to 88.5.
Or a frequency that does not have radio station present.
That way we always have good reception with our iPhone.
Especially when we're in the boonies and there is no reception at all!

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - thanks a lot for all the feedback. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I got busy and forgot about my post here (I *really* wish the site could email me when I get responses to my subscribed threads). Anyway, I guess with the reports of static problems I shouldn't buy that adapter. I also am leery of the FM transmitter adapters as I've heard they don't work well in metro areas (like where I live). That leads to buying a new head unit as several suggested. My issue there is that I part the Jeep unattended at trailheads I would really like to keep it stock ... not add anything that invites break-ins. With the "newer" dash styles like the Liberty has, with lots of contours, etc, it's pretty tough to get a rectangular head unit to blend in :\.

Hmmm... still undecided ...