Computer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slabber

Reaction score
Have a 2002 Liberty that's been at the dealer for over a month, they now think the computer is bad and want almost $1800 for a new computer and labor to install and don't know for sure this will get the Jeep back on the road. I searched online and found some computers on ebay that are far less expensive, has anybody ordered one from ebay? Results? Thanks in advance.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one off ebay . They programmed it & sent it to me . Don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I'm pretty sure it was less than $150.00 .
Just went & looked , bought it from Flagship 1 inc. $144.39

Last edited:

slabber

Reaction score
Renegade, it was stalling every time we had to stop but would start right up and it ran good. Check engine light came on and I did the key trick and the codes said bad crank/cam sensors so I replaced them and everything seemed fine again, my son was driving on the freeway and it died so we had it towed to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong but did not know why it would not stay running. They borrowed some testing equipment from another dealer and now say the power to the sensors is weak, they found no broken wires so they are guessing it's the computer. If it's not the computer I have to pay anyway. Not willing to do a gamble at their prices.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
time to take it home or elsewhere.

IMO is the computer really bad or are the connectors to it dirty/corroded? or is the Voltage to it too low?

Honda has similar issues when the alternator is bad. but bad wiring/connectors do the same thing.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a grounding problem for the ecm or maybe low voltage output from the alternator. First I would clean the ground for the ecm and then see if the problem still persists.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats right the Grounds! Honda also has this issue!

clean up all the ground wires in the engine compartment and to the Ecm etc.

make them like new!

also check the wires / connections at the fuse box.

Last edited:

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second and third the above comments. Hell I'd even replace the alt. before replacing the computer.

My 02 ran fine, but had several electrical "demons" that i could not solve. Once the alt gave up and was replaced, my radio, fogs, and interior lights all acted normally again.

The key phrase in your post.."they are guessing...."
another key phrase.......the borrowed test equip?

have it hauled to someone that knows how to trace the problem before spending another dime.

my .02

Latest posts

Members online