Compressor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a general compressor question about the 2006 3.7 commander's ac compressor. I've found everyone here so knowledgeable I thought I'd ask. Feel guilty for bringing it up but I've not had much luck on XK boards.

Checking the AC today because she said the jeep was going to stall with the AC on. I almost never use the AC when driving so I test it and the rpm stumbles when the compressor kicks on. I look at the idler top pulley is bouncing like crazy when the compressor is running. (tried to get a video of it but my phone auto corrected for the movement. )
Tuning the compressor by hand it get harder and harder to move but never does anything like lock up. I know some of this is normal. But being so though to turn it causes idler pulley to bounce is a new one on me. Of course I'm usually working on older cars too.

I'm assuming the compressor getting ready to fail. Maybe its the over filled with freon but it was supposed to be at the right psi.

My AC experience is limited to basic AC repair which is usually replacing the bad parts after it has failed. This compressor has been a little noisy at start up the quiets outs after it runs for a few seconds. Never gave it much thought because of all the gunked up engine trouble the ac was at the bottom of the worries at the time.

This compressor I know is probably different form the KJs, it's a nippondenso 10s20e 447260-8580.

I'd appreciate it if you all could let me know what I need to look at here.

Thanks much

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the system ever opened up before? If so was the person an a/c tech? R134 systems take a very exact amount of refrigerant - too much or to little make much difference and all the non -condensables have to be removed with a vacuum pump.

The recharge kits sold at auto parts stores should really not be sold in my opinion.

If it wasn't opened before I would do a pressure check on both the high and low side.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gauges was not making a good seal on the high side without holding it down. The set works fine with other cars so I assume it is the jeep fitting, which looks like it's the dryer as well.

Low side was reading about 35psi with compressor running.

I can live with the rpm fluctuations when the compressor comes on because it does not seem like the engine will actually stall.

Thing is I pulled the engine not long ago because of the gunk/crud built up in the motor (swapping in a new motor) . Turned out the old motor was ok except for neglect. I pushed the compressor to the side pinching the line a bit to get it out of the way.

What I was worried about is if the compressor is too hard to turn and is causing the rpm dip and the top idler with the spring to bounce around instead of remaining steady like it is when the ac is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw the ac system has some dye in it, so it had a leak some point before we bought it last October .

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw the ac system has some dye in it, so it had a leak some point before we bought it last October .

Almost all automotive AC systems in the last 20 years has come with dye in the system from the factory.

Your compressor maybe dying a slow death which would mean a very expensive repair.If any stuff from a auto parts store was added and contained stopleak your looking at a complete replacement,meaning every single part of the AC system will have to be replaced to include the evaporator which requires the dash to be pulled.Or the compressor is slowly grinding itself to death internally which again will require a complete system replacement.Sorry but since the '90's due to design condensors and evaporators can not be flushed and hope to get all the metal out of them.

I have seen a dying compressor(grinding itself internally) kill a FI 454 big block.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's worse is it has two evaporators.

How much play if any should be in the top idler pulley?
I'll see if I can get a video of it.

My dad had a Rabbit where the compressor ground to death, this doesn't fell like that, the engine is like a minor fluctuation then normal. No real strain, except looking at the pulley makes me think there must be some.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/167344633
Finally got a decent video. I uploaded It with the tapatalk app not sure everyone can see it.

The air is cold front and back.
Most of the ac work I did was on much older Cherokees and other cars, newer cars haven't been much trouble.