Compressing front struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazzsrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the guys who have removed there front coils. What did you use? my strut compressor will not fit inbetween the coils to compress it. i got a set of coils from a 02 that was totaled with only 10000 km on it so i thought i would put them on my 03. surprise i couldnt compress my coils, plus these coils look much longer then the ones on my 03. any one else put these on theres for just a little more hieght

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You may have to take them somewhere that has a REAL strut compressor.... The Liberty's coils (and several other Jeeps) are just not a good fit for those kinds of compressors.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used advance auto zone's strut/spring compressors. Took a pry bar my buddy and rubber mallet to get them in and out but it worked..

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I helped jsc take the ome springs off I had two sets of compressers. One was craftsman brand and that would not fit until I used the other set to get it started. I don't know what brand it was. I used both sets to get it apart,It just seemed safer.To put stock springs back in the craftsmans set worked with the rubber mallet method. When I put the ome on mine I took it to a friends shop and used a snap on floor mount compresser.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Autozone compressors are a little thicker so it is a bear to get them between the coils. I've used them on 4 sets, two stock and two lifted springs....it was a fight, but with a little patience, mallet, and pry bar, they worked. The 02 coils may help in the "sagging look" most kjs have

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The Autozone compressors are a little thicker so it is a bear to get them between the coils. I've used them on 4 sets, two stock and two lifted springs....it was a fight, but with a little patience, mallet, and pry bar, they worked.

x2

tazzsrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i tryed another set of strut compressor. Got them swaped out today cant believe how much the factorey springs were. i gained almost 1.5 inches. not much of a lift by most standards but at least now i can go down gravel roads without colapsing the coils and bottoming out.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked for you,did you change shock also? 1.5 inch ain't bad.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also try most tool/equipment rental centers. They usually carry the better (stronger) units. To me, $25/$35 dollars for a days use is WELL worth the added safety.