Comparing ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright, so I guess it's my turn for a lift. I've narrowed it down to a few options.

Rusty's Coil lift
BDS Coil lift
OME/Rancho (I know the 17505 is dead, saw some others on JBA)
Rough Country (just seeing if you are paying attention).
Which one would offer the best ride? I would like it to be less bouncy, but not overly harsh. I will not run any spacers, larger top plates, or extra isolators either. Height isn't my main priority, but I don't want to go over 2.5". Will be keeping the stock A arms for now at least. Open to any other ideas as well.

Thanks in advance.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty HJ, I'll be the first.

I've ran the Rusty's spring/shock lift and just recently removed it. It was alright. Better than stock. The Rusty's rear shocks suck but the fronts are still good after 120K Kms. I replaced the Rusty's gear after bolting the ARB and winch to the front of my KJ. The new stuff, OME790/RSX17505 and OME948/RS5284 rides way better than my tired Rusty's gear. Although, in hindsight I should have waited for the RSX17004 shocks. The RS5284 aren't gas charged and I'm sure that a set of gas shocks in the rear would improve the ride a bit more.

The Rusty's rear shocks were replaced with some Skyjacker N8088s. They're very good but were replaced when I had one blow on me. I had done a crapload of towing with the Rusty's gear and it held up well.

I guess that in the end it's all about how much you want to spend. You might be fine with some SensaTraks and OME MD springs.

Cheers

Ian

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight.

Forgot to add- I have no intentions of any bumper other than stock...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Connected to the road....that sounds a lot like how the Rover rides. I think that's my goal.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My OME and rancho combo is great.
It doesn't bounce around like it used to going over bumps. It goes over it, rebounds a wee little bit, the settles right down. Speed bumps are WAYY less harsh, doesn't noise dive when braking or noise up when accelerating. No more intense body roll around corners. Feel's a lot more connected to the road than before.

Don't forget too that when you put your lift on you were probably removing the original equipment shocks/springs. That might magnify the difference you feel also, depending on how many miles and how worn they were.

Just a thought.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not necessarily, I had a 74 Grand Prix, and went to replace the shocks, and it rode horrible, really crappy. But, that was long ago, and the shocks I got were probably cheap.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My Rusty's coils were a bit soft, but were better than stock for driving/cornering feel.

The OME springs that are on there now feel stiffer than the Rusty's in corners, but the OME springs have sagged more than the Rusty's in the same time period. kopkrab.gif

linewarbr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to compare it to the OME, sice I never had one installed, but I'm very happy with the ride of the JBA lift. It's pricey, but it's the only suspension you'll need for the life of the Jeep, since you can crank down on the collars if the front starts to sag. It absorbs road imperfections while still letting you feel it. I feel like I can "see" the surface of the road in my head, if that makes any sense. The adjustability would be great for you since you are going for ride, not lift - but the lift helps. It feels good to be higher, you have a better view of the road and don't feel so "tucked down" in the seat. Plus you've seen my write-up, so now you know how to put it in!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have installed OMEs/ Rustys/ BDS and rode in OMEs / Rustys
Rustys are the same spring rate as stock so you are getting nothing at all but some height and that will go south in no time. One of the first Rustys I installed has settled over two inches and he hardly ever drives the Liberty.
My OME / Rancho set up lasted over 100,000 on mine and is now on another Liberty.
Don't cheap out on shocks either, Sensa Tracs or any Monroes are OK on a car but might as well stay with stock on a Liberty
By the way Rustys only redeeming grace was he did use OME shocks for the front! Pull off the Rustys sticker and you see OME.
If you think 927s would be too rough, go 926s front / 948 s rear
I would look at Bilsteins first and then Koni

remember you want to upgrade your suspension for better handling and better control which higher rated springs will do.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but it's the only suspension you'll need for the life of the Jeep, since you can crank down on the collars if the front starts to sag.

Isn't that kinda counter productive? Crank down too much and they'll bind. Until springs are made from Unobtanium, metal, or alloys of said metals, will always suffer some sort of fatigue. Everything wears out, given time and use, your springs will too. Sorry dude, don't mean to burst your bubble.

linewarbr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the springs aren't Unobtainium, but there is more room between the top plate and the clevis than a traditional seperate coilover top and bottom. They may eventually sag to the point where if you adjust tighter the springs will bind, but it would take a long, long time - longer than most would own the Jeep, in my estimation.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that kinda counter productive? Crank down too much and they'll bind. Until springs are made from Unobtanium, metal, or alloys of said metals, will always suffer some sort of fatigue. Everything wears out, given time and use, your springs will too. Sorry dude, don't mean to burst your bubble.
If I remember right those coils are Eibach coils so if they do sag they are warrantied for like 1 million miles anyways.But being a progressive rate coils they will "sag" fast though compared to linear coils.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a chance that I could budke's lift.

Would I be laughing at myself for not doing it sooner? :D