Common Issue that I can't find a solution to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorschanck

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the community but have used the forms here to fix numerous issues with my Liberty. I am currently having some issues that numerous people have had with their libertys and I haven't been able to find anyone who has actually had this problem fixed. I'm just trying to reopen the subject to hopefully find the ultimate solution to this problem. Here we go with the symptoms:
About two months ago I started up my 2003 liberty limited and it was idling really rough. I had no issues prior to this just suddenly I start the vehicle and it barely stays running while it is idling. I took it out for a drive so see what was going on and as I began to accelerate there was very little response when i pushed the gas pedal. As the vehicle slowly accelerated I noticed that it was not shifting as it normally does. It is an automatic and the rpms were getting much higher than normal before it would shift. once it finally got ready to shift the engine would cut in and out. I would have power then none. The car was bucking and choking and the only way it would shift was if I let the gas out and very slowly eased it back in. The check engine light was on and flashing at this point and so I went straight to a parts store. It was throwing P300 codes I think it was 300 301 305 306. I replaced all of the coil packs hoping that was the issue, no luck there. I needed the car to get me back to Colorado and didn't have the time or resources to fix the issue so I took it to a dealership to have them fix what was wrong. $700 later the car was running well. They replaced the charcoal filter and some stuff around it that was corroded. They told me they checked the engine and that luckily there was nothing wrong with the engine internally. I got back to Colorado and a few weeks later it started doing the same thing it was doing before. I searched round online and saw that it could be the ASD relay so I replaced that. It fixed the issue for about a day then it came right back. I did some more research and decided to replace the plugs. I thought I had found the golden ticket. as soon as the plugs were replaced the car was running much better. It ran well for about a week then this morning I started it up and it was spitting ad sputtering and misfiring. all of the same issues came back. There are more than several people online who have these same issues it as soon as they think they have them fixed they come right back. I don't really want to continue with replacing sensors and whatnot if it isn't going to fix the problem. I have read everything from timing sensors updates to the vehicle computer but none of these repairs have permanently fixed this problem. Please help!! Is there anyone out there who has found the ultimate concrete solution to this problem??

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace your O2 sensors. Use only NTK sensors nothing else.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

thorschanck

Reaction score
So quick update on the situation. I decided to replace the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. I got one done tonight and plan on doing the other tomorrow. after replacing the camshaft positioning sensor today it seemed to be running better. I have thought of replacing the O2 sensor as well so if this doesn't work that might be my next step.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
So quick update on the situation. I decided to replace the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. I got one done tonight and plan on doing the other tomorrow. after replacing the camshaft positioning sensor today it seemed to be running better. I have thought of replacing the O2 sensor as well so if this doesn't work that might be my next step.

I was going to suggest camshaft position sensor - I had to do one in mine a little over a year ago. Symptoms sounded very similar. Hope that's it!

thorschanck

Reaction score
So replaced the crankshaft position sensor yesterday afternoon as well as did an oil change. It was running a little better yesterday afternoon but still idled a little rough when I stopped a stop lights. This morning I went to drive to work and it was running terrible again. The check engine light is back on throwing P300 P301 P306. All of the same issues as I described above. Funny thing is that when i drove to lunch today it was running fine. It would idle a little rough and miss a little at stop lights but when i was driving it was running and shifting fine. I'm really confused because it seems like it gets worse with cold weather and a cold engine. It is also strange to me that it is consistently having misfires in cylinders 1 and 6. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

thorschanck

Reaction score
So no improvements with the vehicle. What is strange is that it seems like the problem only occurs when the car is cold and it is only throwing misfire codes in cylinders one and six. I am baffled. I was thinking possibly fuel injectors but that issue wouldn't go away once the car warmed up would it?

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
Possible Head Gasket/s

I had some very similar problems with mine. Could not get rid of the P300/306 codes. Turned out the head gasket around the #6 cylinder was allowing coolant straight into it. The only other indicator I had was that the heater would not work very well because the coolant kept getting low. I had only owned it for about a month, pretty sure the dealer knew it was blown when they sold it to me but I bought it without warranty trying to save a few bucks. You may try hooking up a compression tester to see what you get. If you don't have one, I think the parts store rents them out.

thorschanck

Reaction score
Well I think Bushmonster was right. I didn't have the time or money to replace the head gaskets so I went ahead and used the blue devil head gasket sealer. It ha been running fine since I did that so hopefully the problem is solved. At least until I can get in and replace the head gasket.