Command to Select Trac conversion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSS

Reaction score
I read sometime ago while shopping for a Liberty that the Select Trac transfer case used in the Liberty was a NP242 that was used for years in the Cherokees. I wouldn't use a Cherokee TC in a Liberty, but has anyone ever tried swapping the cases in a Liberty. If I remember correctly, reading in a Cherokee forum this was a easy swap.
The reason why I ask is after shopping around, finding a a select Trac in a Liberty is next to imposible.

Thanks for the input.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, this subject has come up before. First, my neighbor has a '98 Grand Cherokee with Selec-Trac, and I bet it is probably the same as in the Liberty. But with that being said, about all I could tell you is that the general feeling last time was that you should just look to buy a Liberty with Selec-Trac, if you really have to have it.

I won't lie to you, I love having Selec-Trac's "full-time" in the KJ, and I wish the TJ had it. However, you can live without it. I like it for using it on wet roads, as I still have stock tires. Anytime I do not see pavement, I put the KJ into "part-time" (same as Command-Trac's 4-High). Locking those axles is impressive. Two weeks ago I was blazing through 2 1/2 ft. snow drifts. (biggrin)

I suppose you could start looking for the Selec-Trac transfer case at junk yards in your area? I can't imagine it's that hard for a guy with the right know how to do?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all the parts to swap mine, but little time. A few weeks ago, all the stars lined up & I got under the thing, removed the rear drive shaft, & found out that the slip yoke on the command-trac is bigger than on the selec-trac. So now I'm gonna do what this guy did. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html
I got the t-case for $100 used from a 2004 Grand & the lever for $70 at the dealer. Other than the output shaft, it looks easy.

The Cherokee had a NV-242, the newer ones are NP-242. the only difference is the letter. The company changed names from New Venture (owned by MOPAR & GM) to New Process when GM sold their interest to MOPAR.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Grogie, this isn't as hard a swap as an entire 4x4 system is. To put it in the simplest terms... drop transfer case, install new one.