Cold and Jeeping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today was -31 Celsius (-46C with wind chill) ( -23.8F and -50.8F with wind chill for those on that scale) and my new(ish) jeep, the one I got in May 2007, started like a great jeep it is. Of course it made some sort of odd sound that sounds like the end of the universe, but apparently other people's new cars do that too. But it worked nicely and everything is great.

Really, I have no point of my message, just to say, yay for jeep's that start at -46C without being plugged in or anything. Super Super!

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
im wondering what you were doing outside of he house except to raid the neighbors house to steal their furniture to burn....

2003KJ

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does the engine ever even reach normal operating temp at -24*F????

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ya, took about 15-20 minutes before it reached normal operating temperature. Normally you either way inside while the jeep warms up, or brave it and sit inside. Most of the time it gets there about halfway to work. :)

Normally people wait about 5-10 mins before they start driving to work.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We started up the hemi when it was around 7F and let it warm up for aroun 10min. I never do this but its my parents and they did it. It wasnt even half way warm after 10min.

Best thing to do in temps below 0F is to get a block heater. Saves alot of wear and tear on the engine.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the KJ whine when you started it? Sounds like when you maximum lock the steering wheel and the power steering yelps at you, but 5x louder. Mine has done that 2x in sub zero temps.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now we are in a bit of a deepfreeze in Northern Alberta. Yesterday it was -39 here and I forgot to plug my jeep in. Ooops. And it would not start which shouldn't have surprised me but it did. I had to plug it in for 2hrs before it would start. This morning it is -40 but I had it plugged in so it noisely started.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Edmonton. I haven't plugged it in yet and everything seems to be fine. Problem is I don't think I have a block heater, at least I can't seem to find it.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the block heater, all hiding over there, damn hidden cables. Guess we'll see tomorrow. Today my MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) came on, hopefully it's because of this horrid weather. (Prays)

patbluejeep

Reaction score
the power steering in mine whines at full lock real bad but it is normal temps here. is this is a comon problem?

im glad it never gets that cold here!

Latest posts

Members online