COLD AIR INTAKE & Fuel Saver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are both essentiall a waste of time and money. Especially the fuel saver. It has been tested and doesnt work.

The air intake will get debated, but unless you are a performance fanatic, a cold air intake like that is a waste of time, the stock setup filters better, draws colder air in just as well, and actually flows pretty good too.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, the gas saver is junk and a scam. Popular Mechanics did a test of those and the vanes broke off and were pulled into the throttle body. Avoid.

The intake kit, is doable, but will not reach outside the body of the vehicle. That's what makes it "cold air". Besides if it went outside the body then it would suck in water and become useless.
As long as you have a 02, 03 that intake system will work. Not for 04 +

And just in case you ask later, avoid the "chip" sets that they sell on Ebay. They tell the computer that they are running at a lower temp, then adjust the curves. But the Liberty computer readjusts itself frequently and makes that chip also useless.

Pretty much all the "fuel saving devices" out there are scams. Go old school for your power needs.
The engine is a big fancy air pump, better breathing in, and out will benefit you the most.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of you say that a CAI on a Liberty is pretty much a waste of money considering the stock setup is well designed.

Am I right thinking that a K&N panel filter would be a better choice and much cheaper too? (33 to 40USD)

The K&N web site claims 8.5HP (at 5047RPM) from their CAI....I wonder if it's true (~250USD)

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of K&N's claims can be produced, when asked about it they said check the fine print. Supposedly they claim "up to" 8.5 HP. So as noted before it could be zero, or anything to 8.5 hp. They just have to claim the rig they put it on got that, different rigs could get different results. Notice they guarantee nothing.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N will flow more air at the expense of filtering ability. Plain and simple, they don't filter worth a crap until they finally load up with dirt. Save you money on the K&N, CAI, chip, cat back, etc. and just keep a fresh air filter from Wix installed and drop fresh NGK plugs in it every 20-30k miles.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted, I didn't use a K&N set up, I used the Rusty's Airtube to eliminate the narrow opening to the airbox, and used a Large K&N cone style filter to finish it off, but the product is far from crap. I've had zero buildup or any particles inside the main tube. And I mean it. Even after multiple road trip and trail rides through Tahoe and the Mojave.
In fact I've gained HP and Torque, and have been pulling down 23.5 on the hwy at 75. That is due to a complete range of things I've done (all in my sig) but I'm sure the larger filter helps.

And if you'll look around a lot of companies won't guarantee anything, because people are too sue and complain happy over the smallest things.
And keeping a dedicated lawyer around eventually gets passed onto you.

KJ-Renegade

Reaction score
I brought a Tornado a week ago cause I was getting an avg. of 18 mpg, and now with it on, I'm getting an avg. 22 mpg on my EVIC. That's four more mpg, so I cant complain about that.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popular mechanics has shownt he tornado reduces fuel mileage and horsepower. How could a devices that actualyl restricts airflow increase fuel mileage?

Your intake manifold is already designed in such a manner so that airflow swirls to the intake ports in an efficient manner. Blocking the intake air path with some fins isn't going to improve things any. The concept is entirely ridiculous and i'm amazed they haven't been sued.

KJ-Renegade

Reaction score
Well some device work good on some cars and some other don't. Some car react differently to certain engine mods if they like or dont like the device you put in. So you can't go by what reviews say about thier car they tested. If you can find Jeep Liberty that was tested with this setup then we have something to talk about.

Personally from myself installing the Tornado, I've gain 4 more mile per gallon by using this product. Yes it's an expensive product but in the long run it will pay off.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sfreddy9 said:
Does anyone know anything about how these work on the Liberty? I have an 02 Limited and see these all over eBay and am curious. Not sure how it will affect performance. If anyone has ever installed one let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-0...tegoryZ38634QQihZ006QQitemZ160073341547QQrdZ1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP...tegoryZ38634QQihZ020QQitemZ300070779144QQrdZ1

The first item is up to you, the stock intake although not pretty is good. The second item is snake oil in the form of metal.

jeepezee

Reaction score
I think the jeep cold air intake is a good choice to boost the horsepower ratings of the jeep, not to mention its instant aggressive look. :-k However, the performance and quality will, a big part, depends on the brand that you'll be using.
=D>

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "Type -R" sticker and a big ole "Fart Burner" on your tailpipe will give ya 60-80 more horsepower.

Or if ya want I'll sell ya some imported, sacred snake oil that if ya rub it on your 3.7liter, it'll turn it into a hemi,...........and uses less gas than your lawnmower..................................