Clutch Master Cylinder Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone out there has removed their clutch master cylinder assembly. So, before I start ripping apart the exterior firewall since it's decently buried, can anyone tell me if it's secured from the exterior or interior? Doesn't appear there is anything on the interior that I can see but, from photos, it looks like the studs are on the reservoir itself and coming through to the interior? I don't have the new one in hand yet because pepboys......it's another story, so I can't go off of that yet.
Thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st cancel order from pepboys and order the the master/line/slave assembly from the dealership,trust me there is a huge difference in quality and in most cases the one you will get will not have the line and slave attached and filled/bleed.

You can not bleed the system on KJ's and 99.9% of the aftermarket comes in pieces and not complete and filled/bleed.

Oh and yes 1 nut you need to get from the inside and removing the brakes master and booster is almost a must to get that sucker out and back in.Not a fun job at all and will never do another one ever again,well not for 0.9 hours of labor like the book calls for.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TJ, the part has finally shipped, so no cancelling now. It's a full kit that is already pre-filled with master/slave/line. Booster definitely looks like it's gonna be in the way.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can not bleed the system on KJ's and 99.9% of the aftermarket comes in pieces and not complete and filled/bleed.

Although our Liberty is an automatic, I'm curious about this statement as other than the Jeep and my wife's Thunderbird we've always owned manuals with hydraulic clutch systems going back to our Triumphs in the late 70's.

Do they really not have any means of bleeding or is it just extremely difficult?

Scott

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although our Liberty is an automatic, I'm curious about this statement as other than the Jeep and my wife's Thunderbird we've always owned manuals with hydraulic clutch systems going back to our Triumphs in the late 70's.

Do they really not have any means of bleeding or is it just extremely difficult?

Scott

No means to bleed it,sealed system with no bleeder screw.