Clunking sound while turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have an 03 Limited, and it has had problems with the front suspension since we bought it two years ago. Since that time, I have replaced the upper control arms (JBA), all four front ball joints, the bump stops, and the shocks and springs.

It has always had the occasional clunk when performing a tight turn. Lately the clunk sounds have been growing more frequent and happening on less tight turns. Am I experiencing a differential problem or something?

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look into that. To be honest I haven't taken the time to understand all of the intricate parts of the steering and suspension system.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll look into that. To be honest I haven't taken the time to understand all of the intricate parts of the steering and suspension system.

If you have any way, try to get under it safely. That is jack stands or ramps and see if anything looks loose. Not a big fan of those Haynes manuals but they often have some decent pictures and diagrams of the various components. :party52:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ya inspection time, check shock bolts to be tight! You did lift correct?
The sway bar needs to be loose when up in air and only tightened when back on ground.

Does it only do it in turns or also over bumps? Any particular side?
Look at front sway bar bushings, and cv shafts.
I wonder if it does when you are stopped & have the wheel hard over, them turn wheel a full revolution and back to full lock?
This will help show/explain front suspension Link: 2002 Jeep Liberty KJ Front Suspension Components | Car Parts Diagram

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It creaks most when going over bumps (even slight ones). When turning, creaking does not stop, but is often accompanies by a clunking sound (I can feel a slight tremble through the gas pedal when it clunks like this).

Latest posts

Members online