Clicking when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Liberty Sport and lately I've started to notice a clicking when coming to a stop. It almost sounds like the click you hear when lighting a gas grill. It doesn't always happen and from what I can tell eventually goes away after driving a while. It doesn't happen right when I press the brakes, it's more just a few seconds before I'm coming to a complete stop, maybe 4 or 6 clicks and once I am not moving I don't hear it.

As I sit idle, I hear a different type of clicking seeming to come from under the engine somewhere, but this is more of a rapid repeat of clicks, and goes away if in neutral or park. But I don't think this is related to the first one I mentioned.

Anyone have any ideas of what these might be or if I should worry about needing something replaced?
Thanks!

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think so...you don't hear it when driving, only when braking and about to stop. It's more of a metallic click or even mechanical clicking

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think so...you don't hear it when driving, only when braking and about to stop. It's more of a metallic click or even mechanical clicking

try to get a location where it is coming from. What kind of wheels do you have? The cheapy wheels have screws inside the little hub cap that come loose sometimes.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrangler st i think. they are only a year or two old at most. put on just before i bought it, but i will try to have someone drive it while i listen to see if i can narrow it down

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrangler st i think. they are only a year or two old at most. put on just before i bought it, but i will try to have someone drive it while i listen to see if i can narrow it down

what kind of wheels? not tires. Sorry, I was talking about the wheels.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get to my FSM right now but I'm certain that there are solenoids on the trans that control stuff like shifting and torque converter lockup. Could be a trans issue. That would account for the clicking noise.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i don't have the fsm, so not sure what to look up for that. its the basic alloy rims, the curved silver ones.

not liking a possible trans issue, any way to figure out if it is that or just something with the wheel itself?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i don't have the fsm, so not sure what to look up for that. its the basic alloy rims, the curved silver ones.

not liking a possible trans issue, any way to figure out if it is that or just something with the wheel itself?

I would check to make sure a screw isn't rolling around in one of the hub caps. take them off and see. If this is the case, you can't hear it when rolling because the centripetal force holds the screw against the outside of the cap. When you come to a stop the screw starts falling and rolling around like cloths in a dryer.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only happens while nearing a stop, and NOT under acceleration, the wheel idea looks less likely. When's the last time the trans fluid was changed out? Could be a sticky solenoid. I'm sticking with the trans solution. If the problem was wheel related or wheel speed related it would happen under acceleration as well. Note that the OP stated that the noise is there when sitting at a stop but NOT when in park or neutral.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only happens while nearing a stop, and NOT under acceleration, the wheel idea looks less likely. When's the last time the trans fluid was changed out? Could be a sticky solenoid. I'm sticking with the trans solution. If the problem was wheel related or wheel speed related it would happen under acceleration as well. Note that the OP stated that the noise is there when sitting at a stop but NOT when in park or neutral.

I agree. I'm fixated on the 4 to 6 clicks he's explaining. His second paragraph seems like a different can 'o worms. The solenoid clicks from the ****** when you come to a stop is more like 15 -20 clicks like a taser. Here is the old post I was thinking of. Go to post 14. It is what it is.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38151&highlight=clicking+noise&page=2

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are both talking about different sounds...rocky is referring to the sound that happens as I'm braking, ptsb5a is referring to the rapid clicking while stopped.

I will check the wheels for any loose screws, but I will also at least check the trans fluid, I have no idea of when it was last changed, but maybe I can at least do that for piece of mind and if it continues, move onto something else for the cause.

---yeah, the taser sound is just once I am stopped, different from the wheel thing---

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Pull the front calipers and check the anti rattle clips/brake pad slides....the chrome plated area where the pad sits in the hub assembly....mine did the exact same thing back when I changed out my front pads a couple years ago....drove me nuts till I found out what the hell was making the noise. These clips/slides are prone to popping out and it makes the pad move up and then fall down and it just keeps doing that till a faster speed is reached , then you don't hear it again till you start to slow down....click...click...click.

If you have rear calipers, check those bad boys too.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when your stoping and its making that sound, would you say its kind of like a metal rubbing sound? not like a screetch but like its rubbing? (not a good connection, but the sound you make when you rub your hand of a shower or bathtube when its wet?) ive had that sound before and the first time was because of salt and the second was because i left soap on the tires....

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the comment about the anti-rattle clips on the brake pads. Does your Jeep have drums at the rear? If so the brake shoes can bind on the backing plate when stopping...high temperature grease between the side of the shoes and the backing plate cures it...I had this problem on another vehicle.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kboone, no, it doesn't sound like rubbing, its more of just a clicking. like the click of one of those long lighters for starting a grill or whatever.
Bill, the rear brakes are pads, I changed out the rotors a year or so ago, but I don't think the sound began till a while after that. If this weekend is nice I will inspect the clips (and anything else that might be loose)

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 05' and this sound just started two days after owning it. It sounds like one of those clickers they use for training dogs or a bbq ignitor sound. Anyone figure out what this is?

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 05' and this sound just started two days after owning it. It sounds like one of those clickers they use for training dogs or a bbq ignitor sound. Anyone figure out what this is?

Have you noticed if it's only under light braking (ie: if you stomp on it, there's no sound)?

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed if it's only under light braking (ie: if you stomp on it, there's no sound)?
Correct, it seems like light braking is when it makes the noise. I was told the Chevy dealer just put new pads on. Also, just now I removed the #38 ABS Fuse and drove it around the block some and did not hear anything. I'm gonna test it some more without the ABS fuse, on the way to work in an hour.

tboneil24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's still making the noise. Could it be wheel bearings? It almost sounds like two marbles colliding.

Latest posts

Members online