Clicking noise from CD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '03 Sport with the factory single-cd player. Lately I have been hearing a clicking, kind of an 'r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r' from the CD player when I first start up. At first it happened only when a cd was in the player, but lately it is happening regardless of whether there is a cd in or not. Any ideas? Maybe I need to clean things up, get some compressed air to blow those dust bunnies away??? If anyone wants to hear it I'll go down and record a sample and post it.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without hearing it it's hard to pinpoint but these are basically your options:

1) The cooling fan's bearings are going, thus leading to fan failure (if it has one)

2) The laser lens motor that moves the eye from track to track also has bearings that could be going.

3) The center spindle that holds the CD in place and spins it has bearings and they could be going.

Just my 2 cents from taking apart a number of them.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, in typical fashion I went down to try and get a recording of the sound and of course it doesn't want to make the noise :-k I'll keep trying. The noise only lasts about 2-3 seconds and it doesn't sound like a bearing going out - I have plenty of experience hearing that kind of sound. It almost sounds like it is trying to index the laser and not moving, kind of a ratcheting sound. More later...

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been having a clicking sound too coming from my cd player as of late, it will also say CD ERROR. I've already had the 6 disk cd changer replaced in mine so it appears i may have to take it in again.

kjk

Reaction score
My previous Ford did this, and I started to get the same Disk Error as already mentioned. I had it replaced under warranty. It would make the clicking sound on startup about 65% of the time. I never found out what the problem was, but the new stereo worked fine. (right up until I traded it for the Liberty!)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll try a few things to see if I can get it to behave but if not, I've been looking at some aftermarket units that do mp3 \:D/