Clicking in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, something weird has been surfacing in the liberty. As of late, when in reverse pulling out of the driveway there is a strange clicking/clacking then when I shift into drive the clicking will happen once or twice, then go away. Not when turning, but sometimes when slowing down I have heard rapid clicking. I can't pinpoint where it might be coming from, no clicking when turning. I've searched and read that it may be rear parking brake shoes? I'll try to record what it sounds like.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you've already checked the rear u-joints? They'll sometimes give you a clicking sound
remember they may feel tight but are actually dried up inside.
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft as well
and then if not either of those we'll go from there

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you've already checked the rear u-joints? They'll sometimes give you a clicking sound
remember they may feel tight but are actually dried up inside.
Check the rear boot on the front driveshaft as well
and then if not either of those we'll go from there

This. :beatdeadhorse5: (deadhorse)

joeatari

Reaction score
Hey all, something weird has been surfacing in the liberty. As of late, when in reverse pulling out of the driveway there is a strange clicking/clacking then when I shift into drive the clicking will happen once or twice, then go away. Not when turning, but sometimes when slowing down I have heard rapid clicking. I can't pinpoint where it might be coming from, no clicking when turning. I've searched and read that it may be rear parking brake shoes? I'll try to record what it sounds like.
Did you find the solution? I have the exact same thing. It sounds like it is coming from the front somewhere, like maybe the front drive shaft?