Clevis lift help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help!.gif

I went to add the conduit nuts today and ran into a little snag. How in the world do you get the clevis to slide off of the bottom of strut? I jacked it all up where the front suspension extended all of the way and the wheel came off the ground. Removed the wheel. Removed the clevis bolt. Then I even took off the UCA nut and removed it and whacked it with a hammer like shown in this pic:

You must be registered for see images

But I could not budge the clevis from the strut even with a pry bar. I know I am missing something really simple here. Can someone please shine some light on it for me?

Thanks!

Edit: See the before and after pics here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=356351&postcount=17

Last edited:

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to disconect the clevis fork fron the lower control arm, according to the picture it looks like it is still attached, but I could be wrong I cant see the lower outer control arm busshing. Once you do that the fork will drop right out.

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the correct way is as follows, disconect the swaybar, disconnect the tierod end, disconect the UCA at the ball joint, loosend the clevis fork nut at the strut, and disconnect the fork from the lower control arm. real easy:)

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. That was not my picture. I stole it from another post. But no, I did not disconnect the clevis from the LCA. I figured it would rotate down enough to allow the clevis to come loose from the strut. I guess I was wrong. I will try again tomorrow. I knew I was just missing a little thing.

icon996.gif

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
sometimes easier to loosen the upper nuts on the top of the strut assembly to let it swing out some that way you can get the clevis on and off easier
How many conduit nuts did you get to work with?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 3 for each side. Is that right? From all the other posts, that seemed to be the same amount. Can I go more?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never popped the tie-rod end to get the coil over out or to get the clevis off.

-Remove the upper or low bolt on the sway bar end link. Best if you do this with the Jeep on the ground but its whatever.
-Pop the upper balljoint
-Take the bolt out of the clevis that holds it to the LCA
-Loosen the clamp on the clevis
-enjoy

I was not able to put more than 2 nuts on mine without getting UBJC(Upper balljoint contact).

rdonn

Reaction score
Something I did with mine...

I removed the bolt from the strut end of the clevis, then installed it backwards. As you tighten it the clevis opens right up.

Rich

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I did with mine...

I removed the bolt from the strut end of the clevis, then installed it backwards. As you tighten it the clevis opens right up.

Rich

but be careful due to I have heard of a couple breaking doing that trick and then......off to see your favorite person:mad:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it done this morning. Quick and easy. I did run into one problem that nobody had mentioned. The conduit nuts slid right past the lip on the strut.

You must be registered for see images attach

So when that happened, the 3 nuts only would have given a lift of about 1/2 of a single conduit nut. So, I just improvised. I guess I could have gone and bought a few more conduit nuts and that would have worked. But instead, I just used some vice-grips and made one of the conduit nuts oblong/oval shaped.

Then I just put the bent conduit nut on first so it wouldn't slide past the lip. Presto fix-o! Put it all back together and all is good...

Ground to fender height before: 32.0"
Ground to fender height after: 33.5"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes forgot to get back on and tell you that would happen. That was the reason for my question on how many you were using.
That happens on both stock and Rancho shocks ( or what everyone calls struts:rolleyes:)
It will work though as you don't need them they are only there for reference points anyways :D

Glad you got it done, idea.gifso pictures coming soon??;)

Tom

pipeliner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry LTT, but I wouldn't trust your bent conduit nut in a month of Sundays. One good hard jolt and it will be over that lip before you can spit.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used the conduit nuts doing a clevis lift and have yet for the shocks to drop down in nearly 5 yrs.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes forgot to get back on and tell you that would happen. That was the reason for my question on how many you were using.
That happens on both stock and Rancho shocks ( or what everyone calls struts:rolleyes:)
It will work though as you don't need them they are only there for reference points anyways :D

Glad you got it done, idea.gifso pictures coming soon??;)

Tom

So I don't have a clevis lift?? Hmmmm......that does explain why the bottom end of my shock sits flush with the clevis. I always wondered that.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conduit nut is not for strength - it is to measure the spacing
they don't even have to be there - the correct torque on the clevis bolts hold everything together.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so pictures coming soon??;)Tom

Yes. I have before pics. I will get after pics tomorrow and post them both.

Sorry LTT, but I wouldn't trust your bent conduit nut in a month of Sundays. One good hard jolt and it will be over that lip before you can spit.

As others have suggested, the conduit nuts don't actually hold the weight of the vehicle. They just help make it easier to get the same spacing on both sides. My eyeball or my thumb aren't quite calibrated that good. They are just non load bearing spacers. The torque of the clevis bolt holds it all in place.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before:

After:

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used the conduit nuts doing a clevis lift and have yet for the shocks to drop down in nearly 5 yrs.

Ditto. I just measured my clevis lift w/ a tapemeasure, torqued it back down and never had a problem in Thousands of miles of wheeling.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have suggested, the conduit nuts don't actually hold the weight of the vehicle. They just help make it easier to get the same spacing on both sides. My eyeball or my thumb aren't quite calibrated that good. They are just non load bearing spacers. The torque of the clevis bolt holds it all in place.

This needs to be added to the lift sticky!!!!! So as to prevent confusion.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it done this morning. Quick and easy. I did run into one problem that nobody had mentioned. The conduit nuts slid right past the lip on the strut.

So when that happened, the 3 nuts only would have given a lift of about 1/2 of a single conduit nut. So, I just improvised. I guess I could have gone and bought a few more conduit nuts and that would have worked. But instead, I just used some vice-grips and made one of the conduit nuts oblong/oval shaped.

Then I just put the bent conduit nut on first so it wouldn't slide past the lip. Presto fix-o! Put it all back together and all is good...

Ground to fender height before: 32.0"
Ground to fender height after: 33.5"

was the ID of the conduit nuts 3.0"??