Cleaning Seats - Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 05, the seats are difficult to clean. These are the weird seats that will stain with a drop of water, so I'm thinking its the cloth material.

My problem is mainly with dog hair, it sticks to the seat and can't be removed with your everyday shop-vac or car wash vacuum. I've started carpooling to work, so it would be nice to have a clean interior for the guests.

Any advice for cleaning these? As always, your input is appreciated.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have leather, so I'm not 100% sure on these things.

For stains- I've heard Oxy Clean works well

Dog Hair- a lint brush....

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a carpet shampooer for that main clean then if you want protection look into scotchgaurd

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For dog hair, I actually just saw a commercial for this and it looks like it could work very well. I have not used it myself as I have leather seats and no dog, so I can not personally vouch for it though.

http://www.pledge.com/fabric-sweeper/

Dave Haggard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the pledege "thingy". It *****! a simple lint roller from Wally World works much better.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to try out a lint roller or maybe even look into a handheld shampooer.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just borrow or even rent a floor shampooer with a hand attachment, rotating brush if you want it done right. Ive found the small hand shampooers and small units operate terribly

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
For the dog hair I would just use packing tape or duct tape, roll it around your hand...sticky side out of course and then go pat the seats down with your hand. It seemed to work good for me when I had my pooch.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O and a side note if you do shampoo it do it well and let it dry with all the windows down for a couple hours, nothing worse then all that work then the next day you go to work in a musty smelling car

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried Scotchguard after cleaning, no protection whatsoever.
ya i knda ment that as a general statement, scotchgaurd is made more for carpet fibers, i know there are things for car furniture but i cant think of a name. Im sure it would work better then scotchgaurd with the same principal

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so after about 45 minutes with a lint roller I think I got all the hair off. It almost seemed like the hair was embedded into the seat (sort of a like a sliver).

Thanks for the advice, but now I realized I do need to shampoo all the seats :).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Bissell Little Green Cleaning Machine.. Or so they like to call it. Fill the fresh water tank with hot water, add the cleaning solution to the tank (and in my case i have two dogs so i like to use the pet odor eliminator type) and then fire it up. It heats the water even hotter than you can get out of your faucet but its better to start with hot water in the first place and then it comes out hotter than heck.

I run that over the seats in my wife's car and the water in the recovery tank was absolutely brown. I bought this little cleaner with the upholstery attachments because it sure comes in handy around the house with three kids! And it works darn good in the cars too.

After i let it dry for a day depending on the weather, if you got a hot day then a matter of hours, the machine ***** most of the water back out but you do end up with damp seats yet. Then i sprayed on this fabric water repellent that i found in the fabric department of Wal-Mart, its made for fabrics not carpet, and then let it dry again. I can go sprinkle some water on the seat and it just beads up on the surface, won't soak in, just rolls around. I can't remember the name as i already used it up and tossed the can, need to get some more, but its in the fabric department of most stores that carry that stuff. It's sold as a fabric water repellent. You might also find it in places that sell camping gear as its used on canvas tents and hammocks, etc..

It keeps water and dirt from getting ground into the fabric and makes it easier to clean and prevents stains. I know when i got my KJ i had my arm resting on the passenger seat while i was vacuuming the floor and i got a sweat stain on the seat. Man those seats really stain easy. But with some cleaning and spraying they will look like new, i have just been waiting for the weather to do it, raining again and no garage.