Cleaning foggy headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has been over due for my headlights to be done. They were not too terrible but I have a hell of a time seeing at night so for me it was time. I have used the 3m kit before on my old Stratus and picked one up at Napa for only $14. I would HIGHLY recommend this kit to anyone who wants to clean their lights up and do not have a ton of body shop tools laying around.
The process is not very time consuming and all you need is a decent drill, squirt bottle, painters tape and a polishing cloth. Now some before and after pics.

Before.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just before buffing them. Already a ton better!

After buffing.

I did my fog lights too. The kit comes with more then enough pads.

Before.

After.

Now I just need to get out at night and give them a shot. Also you need to make sure that your headlights are adjusted properly as that will have the most effect on your night visibility. I am not sure what the proper adjustment is on the KJ but what I like to do is drive out in the country when there is no moon showing and set them to what works best for me!
I am super happy with how they turned out as well. Like I said I definitely recommend this kit. Hope anyone looking for answers on whether this works or not will find this helpful.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Brasso works really well too for clearing foggy plastic. And it's cheap!

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brasso works really well too for clearing foggy plastic. And it's cheap!

I have herd that and have used a couple of products that work o.k. and would recommend that stuff. However for $20 regularly I think I got it for $14 on sale you cannot argue with the results. Plus it doesn't just fill in the scratches, it refinishes the whole lens. I did throw a nice coat of wax on it and will continue to wax them regularly. I may have my bro in law clear coat them to help preserve them. He did it to his and they still look brand new, minus one chip. Again if your pinching pennies Brasso will do it alright for ya :waytogo:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headlights came out good.

I used a little bit of "Mcguires scratch-X" on mine with a buffer and that worked also.

Dave

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The headlights came out good.

I used a little bit of "Mcguires scratch-X" on mine with a buffer and that worked also.

Dave

Yeah I do not have a buffer so I gotta go with the kits. I must say I am a big fan of 3m products. Everything I used of theirs always works well. And thanks for the compliment! :happy107:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Plastic X one mine with the buffer pad and drill Works great. I don't wax them, but I do the treatment a few times a year.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I used 1500 grit wet sand, with lots of water, then the 3M plastic cleaner polish, then the Mcquires plastic headlight protectant. I wasn't sure if the wet sanding was working much (more than 3M product alone) until I did the lower fogs. Wow, yellow nasty junk came off, and after the 3M polish cleaner was applied and wiped, they are as clear as new. All by hand and using old cotton socks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Wow, yellow nasty junk came off, and after the 3M polish cleaner was applied and wiped, they are as clear as new...
I'll bet there was some sort of factory "clear" coat on them which had yellowed with age and had finally bitten the dust.

Good information for down the road when it needs to be done to your own lights. :cheers:

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I think polishing alone only polishes the yellowed or dull coating. I put the mequires clear lens protectant on about every two weeks. They still look as good as the day I wet sanded.

bendix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I skip the other steps and hit them with a buffer only. That works pretty well.

bendix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jeep lenses seem to stay clear longer than our other vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online