CKS Question. '02 3.7L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump is running before start-up. I just pulled the number one cylinder spark plug and am getting spark. I know I have pressure in the fuel rail, but don't know how much.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop called and said my keyway was sheared off my crank shaft. The funny thing is, the scanner is showing the engine being in sync when they turn it over.

This thing is headed straight to the JY. Thanks for all the help along the way. Definitely our last go-around with a 3.7L V6 in our lives.....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop called and said my keyway was sheared off my crank shaft. The funny thing is, the scanner is showing the engine being in sync when they turn it over.

This thing is headed straight to the JY. Thanks for all the help along the way. Definitely our last go-around with a 3.7L V6 in our lives.....

A 20min fix and a 50 cent part.

The crank sensor is on the back side of the crank,the only "key way" is on the front of the crank for the crank pulley.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 20min fix and a 50 cent part.

The crank sensor is on the back side of the crank,the only "key way" is on the front of the crank for the crank pulley.

Well, the part was actually $41.00+...the keyway on the front of the crank is what sheared off....NOT my fault. That's an engine fault...

If you've ever pulled a harmonic balancer and had to replace it, then you know it goes on one way ONLY....somehow...it sheared while running after replacing the crank sensor....It's still so funny to me that the scanner shows the engine as "in sync".....WEIRD!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the part was actually $41.00+...the keyway on the front of the crank is what sheared off....NOT my fault. That's an engine fault...

If you've ever pulled a harmonic balancer and had to replace it, then you know it goes on one way ONLY....somehow...it sheared while running after replacing the crank sensor....It's still so funny to me that the scanner shows the engine as "in sync".....WEIRD!

Sheared crank pulley keyway is alot more common then most think.And yes I've replaced hundreds if not thousands,should be replaced everytime that pulley is removed.

Can also tell you that a keyway costs about 50 cents,you can buy a variety pack of different sizes for a few bucks most places.

And like I said the 2 parts are on complete opposite sides of the engine and have no effect or correlation to each other at all.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Geez that would do it... Not sure what they mean by it being "in sync" though?

When I did the crank kit on my 02 the refurbed crank didn't even have the keyway. I was going to try to get a new one but just transferred the keyway from the old one due to time constraints.