Cigar Lighter Conversion to Key On/Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glock_19_9mm

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just paying back the forum for the help it has provided me. I had a need for the cigar lighter to be switched on and off with the vehicle. As you probably know, the Liberty always has power. So I came up with a way to convert it to keyed function with no permanent mods required to the Jeep. Can be installed and removed in 2 mins and cost $7.

Attached is a write-up on how I did it..

Attachments

• 2005 Jeep Liberty Cigar Lighter Conversion.pdf
    718.9 KB · Views: 140

Andrey Levy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just paying back the forum for the help it has provided me. I had a need for the cigar lighter to be switched on and off with the vehicle. As you probably know, the Liberty always has power. So I came up with a way to convert it to keyed function with no permanent mods required to the Jeep. Can be installed and removed in 2 mins and cost $7.

Attached is a write-up on how I did it..
Hi. Thanks for sharing! I was looking for this kind of solution!
But I have a question. I see that you combined to fuses in add-a-cuircut wire. I have no knowledge in electricity, but what does it mean if something goes wrong, what fuse gonna blow up? The 10A or 20a? Should I just add an 30a fuse instead?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for sharing! I was looking for this kind of solution!
But I have a question. I see that you combined to fuses in add-a-cuircut wire. I have no knowledge in electricity, but what does it mean if something goes wrong, what fuse gonna blow up? The 10A or 20a? Should I just add an 30a fuse instead?

1) when doing add-a-fuse, never increase the fuse rating above what was there initially.
2) if possible, down rate the original fuse, so that the combined rating of both is equal to the original fuse.
3) use the smallest fuse possible for the additional circuit.
4) make sure you orient the add-a-fuse correctly; the tang opposite the stub wire should be plugged into the feed wire in the fuse panel.
5) use a test light or meter to determine 4) if you're not sure.

If you put the add-a-fuse in the wrong way, you'll wind up double-fusing your add-on link.

Andrey Levy

Reaction score
1) when doing add-a-fuse, never increase the fuse rating above what was there initially.
2) if possible, down rate the original fuse, so that the combined rating of both is equal to the original fuse.
3) use the smallest fuse possible for the additional circuit.
4) make sure you orient the add-a-fuse correctly; the tang opposite the stub wire should be plugged into the feed wire in the fuse panel.
5) use a test light or meter to determine 4) if you're not sure.

If you put the add-a-fuse in the wrong way, you'll wind up double-fusing your add-on link.
Thank you!!! It was very detailed explanation!

cjw3cma

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I see that there are single-blade connectors available like the one shown below. Have located both the single blade connector (2.8mm width is the same as blades on the mini fuse) and the 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter. But I will end up with 4 EXTRA adapters - SO

Is anyone interested in these? Since I will be making one for my use, I can make the other 4 at the same time IF there are members interested in them.

Let me know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.