Chevy SWB Silverado 5 spd to Jepp Liberty 6 spd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!

It took me awhile to find this Liberty website, but alas, I'm here. I've been posting with no response on other sites. Basically, I need some comments on making the transition from a Chevy SWB 5 spd 4 x 4 to a Liberty 6 spd.

Some background: I've been driving Chevy 4 x 4 SWB manual trans. rigs since I've been 18 - now I'm 62, and, quite simply it's getting to be a bit of a chore to drive the beast around town. Then there's the upright seat - it's kinda ******* the back. My latest vehicle is a 2004 SWB 5 spd, skid plates, locker, and Goodyear MTR, a good off road machine, but terrible driving to work, or backing up in the parking lot.

My kind of 4-wheeling is more back country bad dirt roads in the canyon lands of northern Mexico (I'm located in Brownsville, Texas) than it is desert rock crawling. Then there's the occasional trip up north to see my relatives in the Appalachians - I'm always up for some designated trails in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania.

How will the Liberty handle the above? What would I be giving up compared to the SWB Silverado? I notice that Chevy no longer makes my model - it's all extended and crew cab automatics now - too big for off-road in my book.

My wife just brought home a Liberty 2wd Limited last week. I drove it and liked it - very nimble. The dealership has on its lot a strippo Liberty 4 x 4 with a 6 spd. With rebates & all they'll let it go for around $19,000.

Part of me says stay with the Chevy, part of me says go with something a little more nimble, like the Liberty. I need some comment.

Also, a question about the traction control. How effective is this compared to a locker? If it brakes the slipping wheel and sends power to the other, it has to slow forward progress somewhat. The 2007 has tractional control as opposed to the locker. Any comments?

This is my first post, but I hope to be around for awhile.

Thanks.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard quite a few people over on LOST actually praise the traction control in offroad situations. I dont know if it will keep up with an actual locker, but it helps. As far as nimble, I'm pretty sure the Liberty could make a U-turn in almost half the space it took for the Chevy. The turning radius is impressive. And as far as off-road, you'll see quite a few on here (like me) who use their KJs in the application you described. I dont go for the ******** four-wheeliing, but forest roads and that, which I have been very happy. You will find a lack of aftermarket support for the KJ in comparison to the Chevy. Finally, is the 6 speed a gasser or a CRD?

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 spd is a gasser

Glad I discovered this forum! Thanks for the quick reply. The 6 spd is a gas engine with traction control. List price is $23,500 - With rebates & all, they'll let it go for about $19,000. Here in South Texas, no one (but me that is) wants to by a stick shift. My fear is that in the new 2008 Liberty it will be all automatic. Also, I like the fact that the spare tire is mounted on the tailgate for the 2007 - in the pics I've seen of the 2008, it's carried under the body - not good for ground clearance or long term tire health.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: 6 spd is a gasser

paullgj said:
Glad I discovered this forum! Thanks for the quick reply. The 6 spd is a gas engine with traction control. List price is $23,500 - With rebates & all, they'll let it go for about $19,000. Here in South Texas, no one (but me that is) wants to by a stick shift. My fear is that in the new 2008 Liberty it will be all automatic. Also, I like the fact that the spare tire is mounted on the tailgate for the 2007 - in the pics I've seen of the 2008, it's carried under the body - not good for ground clearance or long term tire health.

That sounds like a good deal to me for a brand new one. Mine is an auto, so I can't give any input there. As far as the spare tire, the majority on here agree with you and have similar complaints about the '08. Oh, and definitely stick around. This is, by far, the friendliest forum I've found on the internet. I know you've probably found on some other offroad forums some with less than commendable behavior.

I'd expect some more replies a little later, as it picks up around here around 8 eastern (as least that I've noticed).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
$19k sounds about right... I'd think you could do a little bit better though.

I'd say the only thing you'd give up is space... and a lot of it, but the Liberty is a heck of a lot easier to maneuver than any fullsize pickup or SUV. You might miss the room though. I kinda miss the room when transitioning from a bigger vehicle back to my Liberty...

You should average about 17/18MPG city to as much as 23-24MPG highway if you are lucky enough.

For the offroad needs you are looking at, the Liberty is a more than capable choice.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price is now down to $17,999

Took your advice - went back to the dealer. Price is now down to $17,999 or $18,000. Looks like my family is buying two Liberties within a week - for a total price of $$$$$$ less than one Tahoe 4wd!

KJ808

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Price is now down to $17,999

paullgj said:
Took your advice - went back to the dealer. Price is now down to $17,999 or $18,000. Looks like my family is buying two Liberties within a week - for a total price of $$$$$$ less than one Tahoe 4wd!
nice! =D>

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

I started 4by4in in a mutant Ford one ton Creature!
A 1969 Ford one ton frame.
A 1968 long box bed.
1975 cab.
6 inches body lift, 6 inches suspension lift.
Armstrong Manual steering and brakes... INSANE, but we were young and stupid!
390c.i.d. T-Bird engine with manual box.
35/12.50R15 Mud-Terrain T/A.

This rig belonged to my best friend and we went wheelin' 70+ days a year.
Didn't matter what weather, that rig would plow through anything; including gasoline!
What would be a normal U turn in my Liberty was a 12+ point turn in this pig. Mind ya, this truck would ford fast water rivers like nobodies business!
Once while I was driving I got stuck in the middle of this white water creek/river shoot that washed out the bridge and our other buddies in an old school Toyota Land Cruiser with a 455 Olds Super Rocket and Muncie 4 speed on the other side offered to pull us out. I calmly rocked that thing back and forth a few times and then gave 'er S$!t and drove right on through to the other side.
Once on the opposite bank I looked down and realized the our rig was still in two wheel drive!

No replacement for displacement!

So ya, I can relate a little to driving Good Ole' American 4X4 trucks, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. They were all fun back in the day.
In the short time that my wife and I are owners, I find the KJ is an awesome rig in it's own rights! Nimble, adequate horse power, and for the country you describe I believe it will work well for you. We have similar roads around here and some desert that has some cool places to go. And our Libby kicks ass!

Cheers

Ryan

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see you already got good advice so nothing to say except welcome to the forum and congrats on the 2 KJ's. Finally, someone my own age here, haha.......There's a bunch of good guys here.

Sounds like you did real good on the price.

Dave

MacAttack

Reaction score
Just in case you're looking for one person in the world that doesn't like the 6-speed manual transmission on the 2007, I am that guy !!!!

Everyone else loves it from the reviews I've read, but I just can't get used to it. So make sure you test drive it and like it before you buy it, so you don't end up like me.

It's probably just my own crappy driving skills though, because like I said I've read many reviews from others and they absolutely love it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm new to the do-it-yourself world and if I was getting a new Jeep... I'd probably go for the manual. It's fun, I think.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Jeep purchase. The transition will be different but you will enjoy your new vehicle. I think you got a good price, especially going back to the dealer to negotiate. The Lib will take on driving conditions you describe and would be even more powerful in those conditions if you plan to modify it. The aftermarket support for our vehicles is very limited, but those few supporters have developed great applications for our Jeeps.

If you plan on installing lift modifications you may want to check out a couple websites like:

All J Products: KJ
Rusty Suspension Lift

Jeepin By Al
Rock Lizard
JPARTS

Those are some pretty popular sites. Enjoy the Jeep!!

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it - bought the Jeep

Haggled some more - got some additional $$$$ on the trade-in - will pick it up tomorrow (Friday, Mar. 23). Only hitch could be financing going through, but I think I'm OK.

So, after years of bone-jarring full-size Chevy's, going to a Jeep Liberty. I'll have bunches of questions later about skid-plates, tow hooks, and tires. This one is a strippo so have to add all that.

Again, 6 spd, 2 speed transfer case. One of the things that sold me is that it is one of the few (possibly the only) V-6, 2 speed transfer case, manual shift on the market today. And I liked the spare tire on the tailgate, not underneath - I know that is changing for the 2008's.

Bottom line new Jeep V-6 Liberty - $17,999; $11,500 trade-in for 2004 Chevy SWB. Couldn't pass it up. Hope I did the right thing!

2nd Jeep Liberty purchase in 2 weeks (remember wife got a 2wd auto).

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your's a 4x4 or only 4x2 like your wifes? Out of 2 liberties, i would have wanted atleast one 4x4 lol

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh sorry, must have just skipped that part because i read over the post. Damn my lack of sleep

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 spd Liberty - initial observations

Picked up the Liberty this afternoon so only have some very quick observations. The 6 spd winds that engine very tight - good spacing of ratios. It is like a sports car compared to my former Chevy. Freeway expansion strips would send the Chevy bouncing - the coil springs of the Liberty absorb irregularities.

Compared to the Chevy SWB the Liberty has much better acceleration. The Chevy was a slug on the highway, although very good off road.

Minuses - the tires. It came with street 225/75 x 16 Goodyear ST. I'm thinking first upgrade Bridgestone AT REVO 235 or 245 (if fits)/70 x 16.
I'm open to suggestions.

Had a few friends look at it - including one who paid $24,000 for a CRV (that price seems to be standard right now for Escapes, CRV's, RAV4's, etc.).

This one went out the door at $17,999 - 2 speed transfer case and stick shift. One of my best all time car deals. It is a real off-road 4wd, not an occasional sunny-day-at-the-beach, or rainy day highway ride like so many of today's AWD's. But, hey, I'm preaching to the choir here.

Expect me to be a pest with lots more posts of off-road related questions.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will not be disappointed in the revos. get rid of those death trap crapyears as soon as possible.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you think of it off road as compared to the Chev. The first thing you should notice is the turning radius.

Careful with those tires. I had 1 stuck and 1 flat (sharp rock in the tread)with the goodyear hp's (street tread) and changed mine.

The REVO's in 245/70/16 you mentioned are good from what others have said. No rubbing and no lift needed. They didn't come in my size. BFG A/T's are good. I've run several sets on different trucks.

Have fun.
Dave