Cherokee/Liverty Overdrive problem. Newbie!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clayster

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined this forum because over here in the UK people seem to struggle with some of the Jeep stuff. Hopefully someone will recognize my issue ( 1 of many!).
So last year I bought a 2004 2.8 CRD auto. Low miles, 54K. Sport model. so less to go wrong.
So I wish to do some towing next year (2018) and I have found that my overdrive engages properly but I can't turn it off. The light on the dash does work when you test the bulbs but pressing the button on the shifter' does not have any effect. neither the light illuminates to say it's tuned off and there is now increase in RPM so something is not quite right .Any ideas guys? I'm suspecting switch but have no idea how to test it. Any help appreciated.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue and to solve the problem I replaced the shifter and the switch, now I have a pistol grip shifter.