Checking Trasmission Fluid - 07 3.7 w/Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend has a 3 month old 2007 KJ and was curious about how to check the trans fluid level. The owner's manual pictures it and gives instructions but in reality, there is only a tube capped and labeled Dealer Use Only.

From searching the boards (here and LOST), I see this is normal.

So, how, how often and where are you having this service done?
Is is just something she should have done at the dealer at regular intervals?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would go buy a dipstick for an 06 and use it. It should be the same. I wouldnt be suprised if there are some dealers that have a whole stack of 07 dipsticks laying around where they pulled and replaced before selling.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were some posts before about the 07's loosing the dipsticks. Has nothing to do with the dealer you purchased from, its a vehicle wide thing, not something they did at the dealer before selling them. An automatic transmission isn't something that is really going to need the fluid checked often, only if you see a leak or something, and in that case I would just take it to the dealer anyway. As for regular service, I would just follow what your owners manual says, I think its 60K or somethign along those lines for the trans fluid. I have heard a couple mechanics say a flush is better then just changing the fluid and filter, but I have no evidence of that. My VW doesn't have a dipstick, and does not require any sort of auto trans service for the life of the vehicle.

Good luck though, if you search around, you might be able to find some posts on this topic.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
An automatic transmission isn't something that is really going to need the fluid checked often, only if you see a leak or something, and in that case I would just take it to the dealer anyway

Thats exactly what they want you to do. They may have come from the factory that way, but the stupid thing should be there. Now you cant even take it to your own mechanic after the warranty is out. They are FORCING you to go to the dealer. How long till they take the lug wrenches out and make you tow it to the dealer if you get a flat.

Maybe its not a big deal, it sure bugs me though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans and filter should be changed in the KJ every 30,000 miles,look in the owners manual.Having the ****** flushed with a filter change is the best, more costly but at least you get all the fluild swapped out.Having no dipstick to check the ****** fliuld is like getting ride of the gas cap,gotta go to the dealer to get anything done these days.Soon there will be no oil dipstick to.I guess the dipstick's name is living up to how it was named! If a dealer is saying the ****** fluid will last the life of the car then the car only live for a short while, unless the ****** came filled with Amsoil from the factory,ATF breaks down and filters need to be changed at least every 50,000 miles to get a long life out of a vehicle.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Maybe it's just me, but I check my ****** fluid atleast once a month, following the procedures of how to do so that are listed in my owners manual.

Speaking of which....i'm overdue for a fluid and filter change...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the dip stick out of yours and stick it in his to check it when he wants to. O:)

Did the service interval stay the same when they switch to the VLP ******? :-s

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Take the dip stick out of yours and stick it in his to check it when he wants to. O:)

Did the service interval stay the same when they switch to the VLP ******? :-s

Yea, if it's the same ******, and the dipstick tube is the same, you would think a dipstick from the 03-06 would fit. Maby not from an 02 as they had a different ******.

Or "borrow" the dealer's dipstick........

Dave

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VW's do not use ATF, that is why the trans fluid is lifetime. It is really strange stuff, made from whale oil or something, pretty oil, and really expensive. I needed a liter when I replaced my trans cooler, and it cost 19 bucks. Good thing I only needed that much.

So far thats my only real complaint about the lib, the service intertvalls just seem really close, or maybe I just ignored them before haha.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
VW's do not use ATF, that is why the trans fluid is lifetime. It is really strange stuff, made from whale oil or something, pretty oil, and really expensive. I needed a liter when I replaced my trans cooler, and it cost 19 bucks. Good thing I only needed that much.

So far thats my only real complaint about the lib, the service intertvalls just seem really close, or maybe I just ignored them before haha.

well, I think they are so close b/c they expect people to take them offroad and tow alot with them. Any time you put the drive train under high torque like you will see offroad on rocks and such, you need to change the oil more often in the diffs and tcase. Anytime you tow and put alot of torque and shifts on the ******, the oil needs to be changed more. O:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:

That's about how much the ATF+4 was when it first came out to,actually it was like $6-$7 per qt.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
My understanding is that to check the fluid on later model Mopars, you put the vehicle on a lift, sitting level to be certain it is an accurate check. Then remove a rubber plug in the side of the transmission case, the fluid should be at the base of that plug, just as with a manual transmission. Should you need any fluid, simply add some through the fill tube where the old dipstick was located. It isn't that difficult, and you could do it at home on the garage floor with four stands and a decent floor jack as well.

Silver Streak
`05 Liberty CRD

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silver Streak said:
My understanding is that to check the fluid on later model Mopars, you put the vehicle on a lift, sitting level to be certain it is an accurate check. Then remove a rubber plug in the side of the transmission case, the fluid should be at the base of that plug, just as with a manual transmission. Should you need any fluid, simply add some through the fill tube where the old dipstick was located. It isn't that difficult, and you could do it at home on the garage floor with four stands and a decent floor jack as well.

Silver Streak
`05 Liberty CRD

Ive never seen a rubber plug on the side of any of our trannies. :-s

Ill just stick to the dip stick. O:)