Check your tire pressures!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked mine last night, had 31.5 in them from 36. It was around 40 outside so I put 36psi back in them. On the way to school this morning they went up to 37-38psi.. Its going to be getting down around 25 degrees so they should be perfect..

I also checked them in our other jeep and they were down a couple psi also. Not as much as mine though? :-s

Like I said, everyone needs to check their pressures.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before we went on Tower of Power last saturday I put 38 on all 4 tires, didn't realize it was pretty cold outside. In the morning on our way there it didn't pass 39 but on the way back I noticed my 235/65 17s were pushing 41 on rear driver, and 40 on rear pass, fronts were solid at 39 as per EVIC after 150 miles of driving, 80mph at times.
I did not let any out, although I should have. They are now back to 38. I will even them out to 38 on all fours.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pumped up to 38 about a month ago. Well its finally began getting pretty cold here and just a couple days ago we were at the low 40's. This is a major drop over our normal 60's etc...

My tire pressure measured at 33.5...pretty significant drop. I pumped them to 39 and they have evened out to 37.5....It's getting cold again, colder.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently just did the same yesterday. I figured i would check them and the fronts where down to 30, the backs had about 34 in them, i pumped them up to 38 all the way around. It was about 50 degrees here yesterday and it will be about the warmest it gets for the next couple months. I carry a digital gauge with me in the center console, and in the back i have a portable air compressor that hooks up to the power outlets in the front and rear of the jeep. So i guess you could almost say i have on-board air. lol

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
i recently just did the same yesterday. I figured i would check them and the fronts where down to 30, the backs had about 34 in them, i pumped them up to 38 all the way around. It was about 50 degrees here yesterday and it will be about the warmest it gets for the next couple months. I carry a digital gauge with me in the center console, and in the back i have a portable air compressor that hooks up to the power outlets in the front and rear of the jeep. So i guess you could almost say i have on-board air. lol

Wow so the portable air compressor works pretty well? What type is it. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
especko said:

Wow so the portable air compressor works pretty well? What type is it. I wouldn't mind getting one myself.

it works alright, its rating for pumping up suv tires, so i figured i would give it a shot. its pretty tiny so it doesnt take up much room. In the past it has taken about 5 minutes to pump up a very low tire like 15 psi up to almost 40. Its got an dial to auto shutoff when it reaches the certain psi.

Here are some pics of it. Its a Cambell Hausfeld, i bought it at my local walmart, it wasnt all that expensive, but its nice having the peace of mind that i can air up my tires anywhere.

You must be registered for see images

it even comes with a built in flashlight. Like i said it works alright, it could be a little faster but thats alright. It plugs into the power connectors located in the jeep, like the one up front, and the one in the rear, its got about a 10 ft cable. with it plugged it i can put it out the front window and reach both tires on the passenger side. I usually just let my KJ run while pumping up the tires so i dont kill my battery.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
=D> very cool. So it has an auto off feature when it hits the specified PSI! Cool.

yep you can kindof see in the third pic that there is a dial around the pressure gauge, that rotates and shows a little needle on the gauge itself.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking at mine the last couple mornings and I need to put some more air in them. Will try to get that done this afternoon, then I'm going to change all my 9-volts in my smoke alarms.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have four digital tire gauges, a 46 year analog one and an ARB analog one on the air chuck.
The 46 year old one, ARB, and one digital "Michelin" are all within 1-1.5 psi of each other, the other three digi ones are a joke and way off.
Incidentally? The three that are crap cost the most!

So, just how accurate are the tire pressures you guys have in your tires?

Also, over inflated tires can be just as dangerous as under inflated tires...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It gets cold Upstate NY and I have had my EVIC go off on me and it was the spare tire that was low. I have a tendency to check the 4 on the ground often and neglect the spare but I am carrying 2 air pumps in the jeep anyway.

I found the old fashioned gauges work best as Ry said. What happened to me with one of those pos digital gauges is that it was in the jeep for awhile and the battery was dead so it didn't work. Luckily I also carried a back-up old fashoned one. I don't carry a digital tire pressure gauge in the jeep anymore. It lives in the garage. Just a heads-up from my experience with tire gauges.

Dave

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny how a thread from 2006 gets revived like this...

I got a digital gauge last Christmas and threw it out the second my wife's aunt (who had given it to me) left the house. She always gets me weird and cheap crap because we actually can't stand each other (she got my name when pulling names for a gift exchange) I have a good ole analog gauge that will always be accurate and will never need batteries

Latest posts

Members online