Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michiman

Reaction score
I got some bad gas a week ago ; my 03 started to hesitate soon after fill up. Check engine light came on.
I knew it was bad gas with moisture in it ; and immediately put in Heet Dry Gas . Engine smoothed out in less than a minute and has been fine ever since .
Check engine light will not go out. Does it have to be reset by technician to get it to shut off ?

I can always put a little black tape over it if that is the case .......
Please advise

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Best- Anyone with an OBD2 code reader can clear the stored code. Always best to record the code number first, then clear the code.
A hard re-set can be done at home by removing both battery cables away from battery & then taping or clamping them together for 40 minutes, then re-connect battery.
Having an OBD2 reader at home is handy to have.
I have an Autel, similar to a Scangauge II, and it can provide great information, with extra gauge packages, reads rpm,volts temps etc and clears codes.

Attachments

• Autel Erase Code.jpg
    Autel Erase Code.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 3

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had exactly the same issue. I run the car until the empty light came on. Then put a higher octane gas and within 20km the light came off. Actually the light did not light up when I turned on the car. It did not come off while driving...

OldJoe

Reaction score
I got some bad gas a week ago ; my 03 started to hesitate soon after fill up. Check engine light came on.
I knew it was bad gas with moisture in it ; and immediately put in Heet Dry Gas . Engine smoothed out in less than a minute and has been fine ever since .
Check engine light will not go out. Does it have to be reset by technician to get it to shut off ?

Please advise

Please advise
To check your code, put the key in the ignition. Turn the key Run, Off, Run, Off, Run. The code(s) will appear on the odometer.

asom98

Reaction score
This could also be the gas cap. If not properly capped, it can make the engine light come on as well. Had this happen on a ‘04, and ‘06 liberty sport.

Dave_too

Reaction score
This could also be the gas cap. If not properly capped, it can make the engine light come on as well. Had this happen on a ‘04, and ‘06 liberty sport.
I had this issue with a locking gas cap. Replaced it with OEM non-locking and it went away. Who knows (rhetorically)? The OBD2 readers aren't necessarily expensive. You can pick up an Autel on Amazon for as little as $20 or a Bluedriver that links to your phone for as much as $120. Me, I'm cheap and I try to stay lower end. I have an older Autel MS300
that I got for $20 years ago that's been great. I just have to google the codes.

Last edited:

Latest posts