Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody else had a P0305 error? #5 Cyl misfire. I had this problem, took it in to the dealer. The performed a TSB on it and reflashed the computer. 4 days later it comes back same code same doggy feel. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

Irritating to say the least. Also had the passenger seat gearbox leak oil all over the carpet. (parts on order)

Then to top it off, the service (^%$$(&$ sits in the seat with a ball point pen in his pocket and got it all over the leather.

Never had problems with this dealership before but gotta wonder now. New Service Manager, Service Writers, blah blah blah!!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0305 Code - Cylinder #5 Misfire
Technical Description: Cylinder #5 Misfire Detected

What does that mean?
A P0305 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #5.

Symptoms
Symptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Possible Solutions
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0305-cylinder-5-misfire-detected.php

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DougBenn said:
Also had the passenger seat gearbox leak oil all over the carpet. !

Had this when mine was brand new, and the service advisor told me I must of spilled oil because there isn't anything under the seat that contains oil and they orderd a whole new seat an frame assembly, said they had to do it that way because of the occupant sensor built into the seat.

Bob

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice reply. I was looking for a more detailed description. I have my own conclusions, but it did not include O2 sensor.

Thanks,

On the seat, they had to order me a whole new frame and carriage assy. Not a new seat though. Hmmm, that will be something to watch.

Thanks.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not good news. #5 compression is way low. Waiting on their normal engine guy to come in on Monday to look at it. Sounds like bad rings or a scored cylinder wall.