"check engine" light, have u had it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got around 140K on my 05 and I've never had the "check engine" light on, and I was wondering if anybody has had it, what caused it and how u fixed it?

Cool ppl :)

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23K here and no light yet. I've had a check engine light once on my previous car(one time was one of the 02 sensors). My truck before that I never had it come on.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave your gas cap loose and you will get the CEL. :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is it can be caused by a number of issues, like most other cars. Catalytic converter issues, 02 sensors, gas cap loose etc. I've got 71k on mine, no CEL yet.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No check engine light on my jeep yet.......34,5xx miles.

Dave

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes,
Misfire on cylinder #3.
Loose gas cap X3 If I fuel up locally, I have to remind the gas jockey to tighten the cap!
(We only have full service gas stations in town. It is a city by-law.)

How did u fix the misfire?or how did u find out?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the check engine light on try turning your key off and on 3 times without starting it. On the third time on you should see a code on your instrument display. That should be the error code that will tell you what is wrong.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
How did u fix the misfire?or how did u find out?

I took it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer because it was running rough. Then they sorted it out with a new set of plugs.

Up until a month ago I was bringing our KJ into the dealer to have service done due to my disability.
I finally am able to do some work on my own vehicles due to my Doctor giving me a prescription to a wretchedly expensive medication that lets me function like a somewhat normal human being!
It only costs my insurance company $140.00 per month! ;)
But at least I can get my hands dirty again!
The first thing I did today was go out and buy an OBD II code reader.:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Up until a month ago I was bringing our KJ into the dealer to have service done due to my disability.
I finally am able to do some work on my own vehicles due to my Doctor giving me a prescription to a wretchedly expensive medication that lets me function like a somewhat normal human being!

Glad to hear it....:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer because it was running rough. Then they sorted it out with a new set of plugs.

You will have fun now. I recently got one too. An INNOVA 3100. I know it is not a professional one but it seems to be ok for a shade tree mechanic like me.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It only will when the EVAP leak detection pump kicks on,it only kicks on at certian times and conditions.
Heh, my mom has left her gas cap at the gas station a few times, and each and every time the CEL illuminated. It scares the crap out of her because she thinks something is really wrong. lol3.gif It's really funny. But I can't get a Jeep to do it at all.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Girlfriends 02KJ with 119K had the engine light turn on and some light gray smoke coming out of the tail pipe 3 days after she bought it. the o2 sensor was going off b/c (I think) of the sluge i found in the engine. I changed the the oil and had the sensor reset. the sense then... No smoke and no engine light. Jeep runs like new :D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes,
Misfire on cylinder #3.
Loose gas cap X3 If I fuel up locally, I have to remind the gas jockey to tighten the cap!
(We only have full service gas stations in town. It is a city by-law.)

You guys and Oregon. protest.gif