Changed Plugs Today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there were 4 sparks on a +4 plug. I would think it would (as others have said) take the path of least resistance; ie: one of the gaps will be the smallest, even if only by a minute amount. As that gap wears/increases, the next smallest gap will be used. This is how I picture it, anyway.

I can't imagine much of a power increase due to different types of plugs. It can't do any more than "light the fire". Plus, I've heard of cases (have not seen it first hand) where the Bosch 2/4 plugs have "shed" electrodes in the combustion chamber. Scary...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Tell ya what?
With factory spec spark plugs, If I drive like an old man (Like usually do!) and do a steady 100 Kmh (63 Mph), I'll squeeze close 24 Miles per gallon out of our KJ with a loaded ski box on the roof rack with a tail wind!:D
If I do about 115 Kmh(71.5 Mph)-125 Kmh(78 Mph) it will drop down to (In my opinion), still a respectable 19-20 miles per gallon!
If I wanted really good fuel economy I would of bought a VW Diesel **** highway cruiser or one of those but ugly Toyota Penus, oops! Prius!:D
Instead I drive an American made Jeep that goes more places than either the aformentioned!:D

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there were 4 sparks on a +4 plug. I would think it would (as others have said) take the path of least resistance; ie: one of the gaps will be the smallest, even if only by a minute amount. As that gap wears/increases, the next smallest gap will be used. This is how I picture it, anyway.

I can't imagine much of a power increase due to different types of plugs. It can't do any more than "light the fire". Plus, I've heard of cases (have not seen it first hand) where the Bosch 2/4 plugs have "shed" electrodes in the combustion chamber. Scary...
The better curiosity is why OEMs wouldn't go for the +2 or +4 plugs to better emissions, assuming they worked "better."

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The better curiosity is why OEMs wouldn't go for the +2 or +4 plugs to better emissions, assuming they worked "better."
Those +2 and +4 plugs are junk.Of course you will notice a increase in power and mpg's when you replace your plugs since the old ones are worn and do not work as good as new plugs,that will happen with any plug.Those +2/+4 plugs are well known for breaking off one of the other electrodes and causing engine damage and the fact that you can not properly gap them for your engine either.

Bosch platinum plugs,the normal ones, and Autolite platinums work great in the KJ.I'd stay away from the OEM NGK junk plugs though NGK has great customer service there plugs just wont hold up,NGK bought one of my buddies a $60,000 engine when one of there plugs came apart at 8000rpm's in his drag car.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/mediacenter.php

Thanks to the poster in another thread to help me PROVE the spark divides (splits) up to the other electrodes.

Ok now, use that link, go down to the ENGINE thumbnail on the player (2nd from left). This will PROVE you can see the weaker sparks on all four prongs, yes with some inconsistency, but you can see it, of the +4 plug, though I am using +2. This video, is a shoot out between the +4, and the E3 Diamond fire plug. The Diamond fire plug wins hands down with hotness and effectiveness of spark, but, they both outperform the OEM plugs. On top of that, in that racing engine application, the E3 provided 5 more HP, with slightly less gas consumption.

SO, you people who argued with me about the physics of electricity, can eat my shorts, after I have played drums for 45 minutes in my 3rd floor room, with just a fan on me.

The show is Horsepower TV, on Spike every weekend.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
well if its on "TV" its got to be true,huh. kind of like internet,its all fact or it wouldnt be there.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If it were an ADVERTISEMENT for the plug, I may agree about the "You believe it, because it's on TV?" However, that show has been on for YEARS, and they did the test on the dyno machine, both were a NEW SET of plugs, and the E3s did better. The gas consumption thing, well, was not all that, but the +5 HP on the Dyno is impressive for just using the right plug.

New plugs,regardless of brand,will give better performance then old worn out ones.E3 is laying there whole claim on that principle which will happen regardless.
Both WERE a set new plugs, did you even look at the video before you comment on the obvious? I also said that, so that's not Fox news worthy. Maybe JUST FOR YOU, they should have used THREE sets of plugs, the original worn out ones, the +4, then the E3, just to make you happy, huh? Well, if the +4s were new, and did fine, but the new E3s outperformed the new +4s, so what's the brain damaging dilemma?

I may just WASTE some more money, and go buy E3s now, and change the plugs again... I got it to waste, so it's not anyone else's place to tell me I am wasting my money. I don't have any of YOUR money with me, so I am not wasting it. It's nice to have money to burn, well, that's my problem, not yours, or anyone else's.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were an ADVERTISEMENT for the plug, I may agree about the "You believe it, because it's on TV?" However, that show has been on for YEARS, and they did the test on the dyno machine, both were a NEW SET of plugs, and the E3s did better. The gas consumption thing, well, was not all that, but the +5 HP on the Dyno is impressive for just using the right plug.

Both WERE a set new plugs, did you even look at the video before you comment on the obvious? I also said that, so that's not Fox news worthy. Maybe JUST FOR YOU, they should have used THREE sets of plugs, the original worn out ones, the +4, then the E3, just to make you happy, huh? Well, if the +4s were new, and did fine, but the new E3s outperformed the new +4s, so what's the brain damaging dilemma?

I may just WASTE some more money, and go buy E3s now, and change the plugs again... I got it to waste, so it's not anyone else's place to tell me I am wasting my money. I don't have any of YOUR money with me, so I am not wasting it. It's nice to have money to burn, well, that's my problem, not yours, or anyone else's.
So your basing your ideas off of a TV show that get's paid to make certian outcomes come realhah.gif.You do know that chassis dyno's can be made to show any results you want and that different plugs respond better in different engines due to combustion chamber designs.Plus the less paths for the spark plug to arc to means the spark is better exposed and better concentrated resulting in better combustion and you can index a plug like a Autolite platinum plug for the best exposer of the spark for more power and economy which you can not do with a +2/+4 or those e3 crap plugs.Incasing the spark like the +2/+4 and e3 plugs do actually makes it more difficult to expose the spark to the combustion chamber.

You want the ultimate test of the best spark plug type just look at Top Fuel engines and what they use.They are always looking for more power and have tried everything and they do not use those junk +2/+4 or e3 plugs since there extreme cylinder pressures would destroy those plugs resulting in major HP loss.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the ultimate test of the best spark plug type just look at Top Fuel engines and what they use.They are always looking for more power and have tried everything and they do not use those junk +2/+4 or e3 plugs since there extreme cylinder pressures would destroy those plugs resulting in major HP loss.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but is it possible that the Top Fuel people have entirely different issues to deal with and can't use the +2/+4 or e3 plugs where a regular street car could, and see some performance gains? I mean, when you're in the racing business, you're breaking your engine down and rebuilding it almost every race because of the extreme temps and pressures on the engine.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no gains will be seen. horsepower tv is a show that is paid by sponsers. As long as the sponsers stand behind their product they will talk all day long about how great it is even if it isnt, it has happened before. But hey go ahead buy the e3s and have fun with your extra 1hp that wont do anything or feel any different

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
used to work in a foundry,produced alloy,A356, to make oem wheels,used a spectro analysis machine to check alloy make-up ,didnt take much to get any result desired.have no doubt "tv" dudes can do same with dyno.been around awhile,not brightest bulb in the lamp,just a ******** cynic.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but is it possible that the Top Fuel people have entirely different issues to deal with and can't use the +2/+4 or e3 plugs where a regular street car could, and see some performance gains? I mean, when you're in the racing business, you're breaking your engine down and rebuilding it almost every race because of the extreme temps and pressures on the engine.

Right.......I am with you jnaut. When I start racing the KJ at the Datona 500 and rebuilding the engine every 500 miles then I will be using different stuff. That, and I have been ripped off before and have become very cinical. Very well said. I agree 100%.

That said, if someone wants to try these special plugs that is fine. They should go ahead and do it and post the results honestly in a thread.

Dave

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are too many variables in engine dyno testing aside from spark plugs to brag about a 1.3% gain. The decreased fuel consumption is a slightly higher gain, about 3% but just the temperature of the fuel alone is a big variable. Those E3s look like they shroud too much of the flame and all of that metal invites detonation. Which wouldn't matter as much on a carburated Chevrolet engine on 93 octane as it would on an emissions regulated EFI Jeep engine on 87 octane... Take it from an old guy, trick plugs come and go. I remember when the Accel u-groove electrode plugs first came out. Crap then and now.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no gains will be seen. horsepower tv is a show that is paid by sponsers. As long as the sponsers stand behind their product they will talk all day long about how great it is even if it isnt, it has happened before. But hey go ahead buy the e3s and have fun with your extra 1hp that wont do anything or feel any different

To be fair to all sides here, I did note that Horsepower TV kept talking about the 'E3' plugs, but constantly referred to the other plugs as "a major competitor". That's a sign that a manufacturer sponsored that segment of the show. An unsponsored segment would have talked about both by brand. The way these shows are often produced is a sponsor comes in and puts up money so that their product can be 'showcased' in a segment on the show. Things are agreed to, like no mention of a competitor by name etc.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair to all sides here, I did note that Horsepower TV kept talking about the 'E3' plugs, but constantly referred to the other plugs as "a major competitor". That's a sign that a manufacturer sponsored that segment of the show. An unsponsored segment would have talked about both by brand. The way these shows are often produced is a sponsor comes in and puts up money so that their product can be 'showcased' in a segment on the show. Things are agreed to, like no mention of a competitor by name etc.

true. hptv for a long time has seemed like one giant commercial to me.