Change hoses and t-stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with the V6 3.7 engine and would like to know how to change out the upper and lower radiator hoses and t-stat. I have been reading online and a little confused at the different posts.

When I drain the coolent from the bottom of the radiator does that get that out of the fill bottle toward back of engine compartment?

Do I just run water through the radiator from the upper hose inlet and let it drain out from bottom hose that is disconnected?

Replacing the thermostat looks easy (any gotcha's I need to be aware of?)

On the upper radiator hose there is an allen screw. Is that a bleeder screw I need to loosen when filling it back up?

When putting coolent back in, where do I fill it up at? From the bottle at the back engine compartment?

Do I fill the bottle up, then crank engine to run coolent through it?

What is the best way to put coolent back in this?

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! so as far as that allen screw behind the top radiator hose I do not have to worry about then? I read where that "bleeds" the system.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Some do that, some don't from what I read... I opened it just to help avoid air pockets, reinstalled with teflon tape.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hoses replaced and new thermostat is in place. Only thing is I only got about 6.5 or so qts put back in the sytem. I flushed the radiator itself but not reverse flush through the engine. Its not running hot and the temp dial in smack dab in the midddle.
I need to find out how much I got out because I didn't measure when I dumped it in a huge plastic bin. I added the water I also flushed the radiator with. So its possible the other 7qts was still in the engine?? I drove around town for about 45 mins or so and never saw any issue. The bottle shows right at the cold fill line. I will let it set tonght and see what it shows in the morning.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also removed the bleeder screw but nothing came out until I turned over the engine for 30 seconds. So I plugged that back with some thread sealent.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Can't remember how much (coolant) was left in the KJ but it was quite a bit ... I measured and replaced what I removed though.

Should just be air coming out the bleeder valve ... until you start it :D