Change cig lighter socket to ignition switched?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad leaves his satellite radio receiver plugged into the cigaret lighter socket which is on all the time, on several occasions it drains the battery down to dead.
Has anybody ever switched the power feed for their cigaret lighter to something that is ignition switched?
( or possibly added a second plug ?)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've added a second socket to my last two cars. It's not a big deal.

You could also just as easily convert the existing aux power outlet. If I were going to do it, I'd cut the power lead off the back of the outlet, then run a new power wire to the fuse box and either connect to a circuit that is already ignition switched, or I'd add one. There are likely unused fuse spots in the fuse box, you can install an appropriate sized fuse and connect your power lead to that.

You're literally just moving the power wire.

Or Dad can just pull out his sat rad power plug when he gets out of the car.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad isn't likely to want to do any thing different, so the switched (or additional) cig plug is likely the way to go.
If I install a second cig lighter plug, I'd put it in a slightly more discrete location, it would hide "one" cable at least.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad isn't likely to want to do any thing different, so the switched (or additional) cig plug is likely the way to go.
If I install a second cig lighter plug, I'd put it in a slightly more discrete location, it would hide "one" cable at least.

That's what I did when I had a Sky-Fi2 in my Ford... the outlet was actually secured behind the dash center-stack. I used electrical tape around the plug and outlet so as to be sure it wouldn't get pulled loose.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your liberty have two power outlets or just one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one that I know of...
My '04 Ram has 3, one of which is switched with the ignition.

I've determined I can tap a +ve off the head unit feed to pick up a relay with it's load contacts (30 and 87) cut into the receptacle +ve feed.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My Garmin is wired into a cigarette plug I added in the dash behind and to the driver's side of the radio. The spare outlet I added also has a USB charging port and I ran a USB extension wire down to the center console. Makes it easy for me (or a passenger) to charge their phone without having the dash area look like the back of your television. (My TV must have six different things plugged into it and the maze of wires back there is quite spectacular.)

I wired it into a switched circuit. The Garmin comes on automatically when I start the Jeep and shuts off when I shut the Jeep down. I fished the wires for the Garmin through the top of the dash and don't have anything showing. Just find a switching wire and locate the stuff wherever it is convenient and not in the way. :)

EDIT--

This is what I have:

You must be registered for see images attach

I just chopped the male plug off and wired it to the fuse box. I also added a ciggie male plug to my CB and plugged it in there as well.

Last edited: