Cat delete.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of magnaflow converters and converter threads. Any of you running non foulers and doin away with the cats?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of magnaflow converters and converter threads. Any of you running non foulers and doin away with the cats?

Cutting the cats out on a gas engine is illegal, no if's, and's or but's. It's illegal at the federal level and at the state level. It doesn't gain you anything either.

Ian

Reaction score
What he said. I run a cat back magnaflow.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern cats flow as good as a high flow cat the only advantage of deleting your cat is a louder exhaust note and a very light back pocket in this application

sent by telegraph from my k30

Last edited:

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutting the cats out on a gas engine is illegal, no if's, and's or but's. It's illegal at the federal level and at the state level. It doesn't gain you anything either.

I haven't done it to the jeep but it saves the money I'd spend on high flows. If deleting it does nothing then why spend the money on high flows? It gives the exhaust a throatier sound. Jba headers, no cats, and a magnaflow muffler, nothing sounds better IMO. Tinted windows are illegal. I bet a percent of the people here have them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM cats are higher flowing then the "high flow" cats on the market.Plus they actually work where as those aftermarket "high flow" cats maybe 30%-60% as efficient as the OE cats but still are not as free flowing as OE cats.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to pick a fight or anything.. I spend a good amount of time at the track and almost all the guys with trucks faster than 13 seconds don't have them. My two previous trucks I raced didn't have them. I wanted the best sound and the best flow possible. In my state they don't inspect it and you can get away with it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to pick a fight or anything.. I spend a good amount of time at the track and almost all the guys with trucks faster than 13 seconds don't have them. My two previous trucks I raced didn't have them. I wanted the best sound and the best flow possible. In my state they don't inspect it and you can get away with it.
Still illegal regardless and a $2500 fine for each cat missing,this will come into play when you sell it or move to a inspection area.

If you want to go fast and have a loud exhaust get a sports car,Jeeps are for slow speed driving offroad.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just because those guys lack the knowledge on how to build an engine with cats and be clean, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. You gain little power if any, in fact you loose bottom end torque, which is what you need the most. Tinted windows isn't illegal in all states, and even then it is not as serious as cutting out cats. To add to that, the majority of the web forums will not allow discussions of illegal activities, as to do so is condoning such actions and can make them an aiding party to a crime. In other words it is a good way to get a thread locked.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still illegal regardless and a $2500 fine for each cat missing,this will come into play when you sell it or move to a inspection area.

If you want to go fast and have a loud exhaust get a sports car,Jeeps are for slow speed driving offroad.

I'm not saying its not illegal. I simply asked if anyone took them out.

More people mod street trucks than street cars. No matter what people think they are for. Do what you will with your vehicle. Others will do what they want with theirs..

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying its not illegal. I simply asked if anyone took them out.

More people mod street trucks than street cars. No matter what people think they are for. Do what you will with your vehicle. Others will do what they want with theirs..

And that is why the law harasses us. Because people with that ignorant mentality break the law and make us all look bad. Sloppy engine building is always the source of such tainted info as what you have been fed. If what I said was bull, then why do modern vehicles put out 2hp per cube all day long now, with cats, and are cleaner than those gas sucking hogs? Food for thought.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because those guys lack the knowledge on how to build an engine with cats and be clean, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. You gain little power if any, in fact you loose bottom end torque, which is what you need the most. Tinted windows isn't illegal in all states, and even then it is not as serious as cutting out cats. To add to that, the majority of the web forums will not allow discussions of illegal activities, as to do so is condoning such actions and can make them an aiding party to a crime. In other words it is a good way to get a thread locked.

Every truck forum out there talks about it. If this place is full of nuns and little school girls that get offended by it then lock the thread..

90% of track vehicles run open headers.. Do they not have knowledge as well? Do they have no bottom end? I guess they are all stupid and need cats.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are turning something simple into something it dosn't need to be.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a wrangler wheel thread. Someone brought up adapters. Adapters are illegal, guess we have to close that thread as well.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some boys don't get it. I better stop feeding the troll now while I'm ahead. Doesn't sound like you need us anyways. You got Ricky Bobby and Billy Bob at the drag strip for your info. Ask them why they only build a Chevy 350. They'll give you the canned answer, but the truth is, it's what was in the Hot Rod magazine budget build one month, and that's all their fifth grade teacher read to them in special ed.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that is why the law harasses us. Because people with that ignorant mentality break the law and make us all look bad. Sloppy engine building is always the source of such tainted info as what you have been fed. If what I said was bull, then why do modern vehicles put out 2hp per cube all day long now, with cats, and are cleaner than those gas sucking hogs? Food for thought.

Cats don't give you hp. They are emission control devices. Direct injection and variable timing is what has givin us more power and better fuel economy. But since you know what they teach in special Ed class sounds like you were in it.

Guess this guy is an idiot...
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Every truck forum out there talks about it. If this place is full of nuns and little school girls that get offended by it then lock the thread..

90% of track vehicles run open headers.. Do they not have knowledge as well? Do they have no bottom end? I guess they are all stupid and need cats.

You're talking about two completely different engines/ the way they are built and what they are built for.

NOW back on topic and keep it clean ............................

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm Just gonna assume no one on here does. I'm not going to do it to my jeep. Don't need to or want to. It is a popular thing though and more people do it than you'd think.

How about another question. Do any of you have a cutout? Electric or manual. This is another thing I don't have done and I'm not planning on it. Just curious.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not a popular thing to do ( remove cats) trust me been in the game for a long time
Also cut outs will not gain you anything but make noise , KJs are not a 500 horse Mustang

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a popular thing to do ( remove cats) trust me been in the game for a long time
Also cut outs will not gain you anything but make noise , KJs are not a 500 horse Mustang

I know this. Some people like to make a little noise. If done right it can make some sweet sounding noise. Why do I have to keep justifying different mods? KJs come stock not being able to do much at all. They are quiet, slow and not too offroad capable from the factory. They are not rock climbers. They are not mud machines. They are not dragsters. Yet people put lift kits, suspensions, exhaust, and engine mods. They can be made into anything the owner desires. Don't knock something just cause its not your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.