Carseat in the Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepman

Reaction score
I have put a carseat in my libby for our newborn (rear facing) and I am wondering what others have done in this situation. I have installed it properly according to the manual for both the carseat and the Jeep. My question is placement, because I installed behind the passenger seat and I have seen others in the middle of the seat in their SUV's. I don't which is best, but I do know that a rear facing carseat takes up so much room that no one can sit in the front passenger seat due to leg room issues cause the seat is jacked up so far.

Just polling and getting some opinions.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got ours in the middle seat. Seems to fit better and dosen't affect the front seat position as much.

That and the thought of the side curtain airbag popping out on my kid creeps me out. Even though it probally wouldn't touch them.

But i'm crazy!

Jeepman

Reaction score
We've got ours in the middle seat. Seems to fit better and dosen't affect the front seat position as much.

That and the thought of the side curtain airbag popping out on my kid creeps me out. Even though it probally wouldn't touch them.

But i'm crazy!

Did you just use one of the LATCH anchors from each side of the seat or what?

2003KJ

Reaction score
If you're not sure, take the Jeep to your local police or fire department. Both departments are trained in proper car seat location and installations, and they will be more than happy to take a look at it for you and correct it if needed, FOR FREE.

Around here, the local police department holds a car seat installation day every couple of months or so. All you have to do is bring them your vehicle and car seat, and they will properly install it.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they say the middle is safest, but it's not alway practical. Are you using the bucket style seat? Your kid will probably out grow that in 5-7 months, & you'll go to the convertable type. It takes a little less space. We put ours behind the passenger seat, & whoever sat there just had to chew his knees for a bit. One year & 20 pounds, then you get to turn it around...Happiest day of the year! :)

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
when my boys were young enough to still sit in one we had the fwd facing behind the driver seat so the passenger could reach between the seats and handle any baby needs that required attention without having to stop.