cargo area carpet wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I couldn't find anything about wet carpet in the cargo area on the forum.
Found the carpet in the cargo area wet after 2 days of rain.
Seems like the water originated from some where high. Noticed small pools of water on my toolkit.

Headliner doesn't feel wet and no visible wet spots.

Other than my wife spilling something at the back (which she didn't), I'm really scratching my head here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaked from the third tail light area, but that was because of the crappy seal on the aftermarket third tail light that I have. But I would check up there.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaked from the third tail light area, but that was because of the crappy seal on the aftermarket third tail light that I have. But I would check up there.

Did it leak through the headliner?
How did the leak trickle down into the cargo area?
Thanks.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll hose it down and see whether it starts to leak.
What as your fix? replacement seal?

thanks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Before the water test... you may want to try this! :happy175:
53863[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Besides cyclop light, roof rail mount could also be a potential source.
Edit- also mine gets wet on rear inside plastic cover of tail gate, coming from above hatch glass, seal is not perfect.

Attachments

• Jeep%20Umbrella.jpg
    Jeep%20Umbrella.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll hose it down and see whether it starts to leak.
What as your fix? replacement seal?

thanks.

I caulk sealed the tail light to my Jeep. Thinking back I probable could have figured something else out, considering I can't get the tail light off now. :emotions34:

Let's just say I've become a LOT smarter in the 6.5 years I've had this Jeep.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled out the 3rd brake light last night. saw a faint water trail through the light dust but I don't see how it could have gotten the carpet that wet. I think I might try some household weather stripping or 3M foam tape.

I'll have to hose it down when i go to the inlaws next weekend. Still got to wrap up the fan issue this weekend.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the wiring to the rear defrost? One of mine was twisted and when closing the rear window it was getting stuck in the rubber and letting water in. Unplugged the wire, untwisted it and made sure it wasn't pinched between the seal and window.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....
Good suggestion. I'll look into that but I'm pretty sure my coiled cable isn't twisted up in a bunch.
Thanks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be the wiring to the rear defrost? One of mine was twisted and when closing the rear window it was getting stuck in the rubber and letting water in. Unplugged the wire, untwisted it and made sure it wasn't pinched between the seal and window.

It could have compressed the seal enough when it was twisted to leave a gap. I'd have a look at that to see. :)

Edit: Sorry - had the thread opened before I posted and didn't see the last comment!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so at the inlwas place, hosed the rear for a bit and found no leaks. wife comes out and her memory decides to work at that instant saying that the liftgate was left open by accident when it rained.

fml

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...wife comes out and her memory decides to work at that instant saying that the liftgate was left open by accident when it rained...
If you decide to have her memory replaced I would go with genuine Mopar. Aftermarket stuff is fine for some things, but you don't want to fool around when it comes to the critical things. :icon_lol:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online