Carfax accident report...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the whole jeep thing, but am planning on purchasing an '06 KJ soon. I found a Renegade with everything that I want...but has had a front end accident, as reported on carfax. It has about 22K on it and the Jeep "Dealership" is asking 17k for it.

No other issues are reported.

To buy or not to buy? What should I look for in regards to it having been in an accident (but no frame damage/airbag deployment)? Thanks in advance for the replies!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use that to talk them way on down. I wouldnt pay that for an 06 thats been wrecked.

Actually, I dont think I would buy a wrecked vehicle at all. There are tons of things that you cannot see behind the bumper and rad support, such as tons of wiring. Its un-telling what could happen later on down the road.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought this over the internet for 5 grand. It was 1 year old and only had 18000 miles on it . I put $3500.00 into it and drove it for 3 years till I traded for the KJ.

I had it professionally repaired and painted and never had any problems with it. The Kia had a solid truck frame, which was bent in the acc. It straightened out just fine, no tire wear issuse at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

So, if you are buying a smashed rig , it's better to see it when it was unrepaired s opposed to after repair. Jeepjeepster is right , there could be alot of hidden problems.

But it seems like alot of money for a used, smashed vehicle.:)

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I guess I didn't make myself clear...the jeep is in excellent condition..however an accident was reported on carfax, which makes me leery. Just need to trade in my car soon before it breaks down again and I have to put even more money into it.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I know the Libby is in good shape. I would just be carefull of a quick fender bender type accident which could have been fixed quick and traded before the the previous owners had to put a bunch of money into it.

My advise is to get ahold of a good mechanic to look it over very carefully. He should be able to tell you if it's worth buying.

Better yet, know anyone who has a bodyshop?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
C. W. Is there any way you can find out who the prior owner was from the dealer. They would know if it was traded to them. Then you could call and ask. Maybe it was just a fender bender??

Just thinking out loud trying to help.

Dave

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I will see if the dealer has any info about it. Probably just a fender bender, but you can never tell. I think the problem is I have to drive hours to find an '06 regardless if its a Limited or Renegade (either would be fine with me), so I don't want to end up going home empty handed.

Final question:

What is a GOOD PRICE for an '06 Limited or Renegade?

I require a towing package, so am only looking at vehicles with it so I won't have to install it myself.

I've looked on kbb and edmunds, but am unsure as to what price I should really be trying to get the dealer down to.

Thanks again,

C.W.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first car was in an accident and buying it was the worst mistake I ever made. So from my experience, I'd move along. No reason to rush into a thousand-dollar decision. Shop around...

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've decided to concentrate on one-owner, clean carfax kj's. Why take the risk? Yet since the number of kj's with the towing package is quite small, I have expanded my search to those without it, and am now leaning to an '07. Just think, I -started- looking at an '02, and kept bumping it up! Now it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to pay, which is a maximum of 16500 dollars for an '07 Limited with the 29g quick order package. We'll see...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats how you can get what you want....instead of taking what you can get.
It never hurts to shop around for the best deal for you, not the car dealer.;)

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have it checked out by a mechanic you trust. then talk them down alot!

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two kj's I'm interested in, an '06 with a tow package and an '07 without. The former is for 16000, the latter is for 17000, with half the mileage of the '06.

I would love to take it to my mechanic to check the vehicle, but that's not feasible since I live 3 and 4 hours away from the cars respectively.

There's not anything closer than that. I've been checking daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Arghh. Why do I have to be so picky?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^I agree. The liberty doesnt really come with any that you cannot add later.

Hitch and wiring isnt much and you still have half the mileage. One thing it comes with besides a hitch+wiring is the engine driven fan but you can get that later. I dont have that fan and Ive never had troubles towing or offroading in the heat of summer.

JaySoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. It will say if there was frame damage or if the airbags were deployed. Basically, if it was ever involved in a police report, it will be on there. I've seen ones that said they hit a pedestrian before. This could be anything from a shopping cart rolling into it, to rear-ending someone. It is probably safe. See if you can get a warranty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. It will say if there was frame damage or if the airbags were deployed. Basically, if it was ever involved in a police report, it will be on there. I've seen ones that said they hit a pedestrian before. This could be anything from a shopping cart rolling into it, to rear-ending someone. It is probably safe. See if you can get a warranty.
Yeah it doesn't take much to add the price up on newer vehicles.Just needing a bumber,grill,and a fender will likely give you a "damaged" title.If the title is clean the damage was minor and shouldn't effect anything down the road.

My KJ has a "damaged" title from the $5500 hail damage it got in SD:mad:,not my fault at all and only sheet metal damage(and the front windshield).At least I painted it and got the lift/wheels and tires for free:D.