Can't put gas in Liberty, please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Stack

Reaction score
My fiancee's '05 Liberty Limited with the 3.7L sat outside for about 5 days while we were on vacation with about 1/4 tank of gas. Upon returning, she began to drive it and the check engine light came on. I checked the gas cap (installed properly), and told her to make an appointment to bring it in, but continue to drive it. Next day, she goes to put gas in it, and it takes about $5 and shuts the pump off. I do the same the following day, and no matter how I jimmyed the pump, it wouldn't take more than a gallon or two before shutting the pump down. I saw gas coming back out the two holes at the top of the filler unit above the slot for the pump nozzle, but I know the tank is not full. It MAY be that someone stuck something down the tank while we were gone, but as the cap was on tight and there were four other cars in the driveway that were apparently undisturbed, it doesn't seem likely.

Has anyone had a similar issue? We are taking it in on Wednesday, but I'd like to go in with some idea of what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like the flap that is inside the neck (that tells the pump that the tank is full) is stuck. Either that, or you're correct in that sombody jammed something down there while you were gone....but I doubt it.

Either way, warranty fix!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that its thinking your gas tank is not full but it really is. I will be very surprised if someone slammed something down the neck. Let us know what happens!

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like MoladoGuy mentioned, it's also possible that something has happened to the sending unit that tells the gauge how full the tank is, if so, it's very possible that you have a full tank without knowing it. It could have started to fail a while ago (Leading you to believe you had 1/4 tank before you left) But I can't really say. I had a slow failure of my speedometer occur, so i don't see why it couldn't happen with another gauge.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well, you could test that easily.. rock your Liberty side to side at the rear end. If you hear a LOT of sloshing in the fuel tank... well... it ain't full. =P~

Chris Stack

Reaction score
I am 99% certain it isn't full. My fiancee commutes about 19 miles each way a day, and fills up fairly often. She and I both were putting off filling up until we got back from vacation. Since we go through gas pretty quickly in it, we always have a general idea of how much is in there.

Thanks though; we're dropping it off tonight, I'll let you know what, if anything, the verdict is.

02silverKJ

Reaction score
the sending unit has nothing to do with the tank being full and turning the pump off...... that i know of.

the pump nozzle is built to sense when the tank is full and turns off automatically.....

sounds like you have some sort of obstruction...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case, first thing I would do is find a hose and just soak it in, see how further down it goes and what's the line on the hose..
Alternatively, I would also siphon the gas out just to make sure how much gas actually is there.
Or just drop it off at the dealership, let them deal with it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02silverKJ said:
the sending unit has nothing to do with the tank being full and turning the pump off...... that i know of.

the pump nozzle is built to sense when the tank is full and turns off automatically.....

He meant that the tank could be full and the gauge in the jeep is wrong.

02silverKJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
02silverKJ said:

He meant that the tank could be full and the gauge in the jeep is wrong.

oh i see.... sorry if i sounded like an ass

Chris Stack

Reaction score
So before dropping it off last night, I put a bit more gas in it (was almost empty) and of course, it took it $10 worth without shutting off, more than it would before. ](*,) I didn't put any more than that, since I knew they'd be working on the tank.

Brought it to the dealer anyway, and they couldn't find an issue (of course), and said the check engine light was due to a separate issue. Of course, I don't know WHAT issue, since they talked to my fiancee and she is, shall we say, a bit clueless about these things. I'll see what the paperwork says when we pick it up later tonight.

My bet is that there was a stuck flap or something in the filler neck, and it worked itself free. Fine if it stays that way; hopefully we won't have to deal with this issue again.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
My problem is that I can't STOP putting fuel in my KJ O:)

Hahaha.....yea, THAT is normal.

Dave

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you always fill up at the same station? My wife's beetle used to have this same problem at certain stations. Like clockwork when i rbought it to this one Diamon Shamrock near my house it would only let me put in a couple gallons and that was it. I've experienced the same problem with my vette at another station.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem is that I can't STOP putting fuel in my KJ

LOL @ KJPilot, I seem to be having a run of that myself!

To the OP: Let us know what the dealer did, as I'd like to know what the fix for this is as well. Good luck and hope this isn't a recurring problem.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
indieaz said:
Do you always fill up at the same station? My wife's beetle used to have this same problem at certain stations. Like clockwork when i rbought it to this one Diamon Shamrock near my house it would only let me put in a couple gallons and that was it. I've experienced the same problem with my vette at another station.

Indieaz has a good point. There might be something to this as I have noticed that some gas station pumps seem to have more pressure than others.

Dave