Can't get into Key Programming Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merric Bill

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and found the forum looking for a solution to my problem. I just bought a 2007 Jeep Liberty. I wanted to add a few additional keys. I bought a pair on ebay and had them cut to match my car. Then I tried to program them to work with my car. I wasn't able to do it. I followed the method in the owner's manual but I just couldn't get my Jeep to go into Customer Programming Mode. I have one original key and two keys that I had made and programmed by a locksmith. I tried several times with different combinations of my keys but the car just never went into Customer Programming Mode. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Bill

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about programming the "security chip" or remote? For programming the security the DIY way, you need to use 2 programmed keys to add more. A dealer however has the equipment to do it from only 1 key.

Last edited:

Merric Bill

Reaction score
I'm talking about the "security chip." I have a total of three working keys and two additional blanks (I guess I was unclear in the original message). I'm trying to avoid going to a dealer as they charge about $90 per key. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why I can't access the Customer Programming Mode even though I have enough working keys to do so.

Bill

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you were using 2 working keys per the manual? You made it sound as if you were only inserting one original key before trying to program a new one.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I tried adding a key to the two good ones I had and I never got the process to work.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's what I do best.

I'll look into you-tube. Just got semi-internet so you-tube doesn't occurr to me.