Can you change to synthetic with over 100k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I wanted to switch to synthetic, but I have 130k miles on my Libby. Is it too late to switch?

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i switched at 112k on my 02, no problems, I use mobil 1 10w 30 High milage full synthtic

if you have any problems now i wouldn't switch

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what was used on my Jeep prior to me getting it but I've been using synthetic only (also using Mobil 1 10w 30) since I bought it at 62k. I'm now at 87k and no problems to speak of. I also try to use Lucas engine stabilizer solution when I remember at oil changes.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can switch to synthetic any time you want. What you need to keep an eye on are older seals and gaskets. If you have an oil leak waiting to happen, the thinner synthetic will find it and make it happen. This is usually a problem only on older engines with old brittle seals (had a 360 do this to me in an old car, the cork under the valve covers started leaking it on to the manifolds).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Since the 3.7L has historically been relatively leak free, and with Chrysler engineers putting a lot of time into making it, and all of their future engines that way (The 4.7/3.7L were the first engines Chrysler has made that don't leak like a faucet), I'd say you will have no issues at all.

ben420

Reaction score
I bought a Jeep Liberty 2009 this summer and now the EVIC shows the change oil maintenance warning. I have no idea if the previous owner used synthetic oil but I will. Now I'm wondering how the EVIC is working and if it will "understand" that I'm using synthetic !!?? Also how many km or milles you suggest between each oil change ?

thanks

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I bought a Jeep Liberty 2009 this summer and now the EVIC shows the change oil maintenance warning. I have no idea if the previous owner used synthetic oil but I will. Now I'm wondering how the EVIC is working and if it will "understand" that I'm using synthetic !!?? Also how many km or milles you suggest between each oil change ?

thanks

It will not know that you are using synthetic. The oil monitoring system uses an algorithm to determine whether you need an oil change. I get one every 6000 miles. That's what the manual says. I use synthetic.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks

They use a very complicated system known as
"MilesDriven"
My KJ was 3k IIRC
My F250 is 7500
The VW is 10k ,yeah 10k miles crazy
My TJ is ,well it does not have a the oil change light
so it gets new oil once a year need it or not
None of these systems know how you drive or under what
conditions you drive ,speed ,weather ,dirt ,ect.
You should change your oil based on this not miles alone
And yes you can switch to syn. oil at any time

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, nowadays true syn oils are quite rare.... We should be talking about 'better than avg.' oils instead.
Also any thin (5W/20..30) SM/SN oil is hardly pure dino..... So don't worry, switch back and forth as You like.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
They use a very complicated system known as
"MilesDriven"
My KJ was 3k IIRC
My F250 is 7500
The VW is 10k ,yeah 10k miles crazy
My TJ is ,well it does not have a the oil change light
so it gets new oil once a year need it or not
None of these systems know how you drive or under what
conditions you drive ,speed ,weather ,dirt ,ect.
You should change your oil based on this not miles alone
And yes you can switch to syn. oil at any time

Not true. Read my post above. My cousin's Dodge Avenger was proof of this, when she did mostly city driving, her oil change reminder bugged her every 2500 miles. When she moved out, and did mostly highway driving, she didn't see it for 6000 miles. I don't drive as horribly as she does, and I have never seen the Oil Change Required message.... but still change it every 6000 miles.

Sorry dude.

Clyde Frog, your EVIC is just showing you an oil change reminder based on miles driven since last oil change, you can change this in the options menu. I believe it goes in increments of 3000 miles.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. Read my post above. My cousin's Dodge Avenger was proof of this, when she did mostly city driving, her oil change reminder bugged her every 2500 miles. When she moved out, and did mostly highway driving, she didn't see it for 6000 miles. I don't drive as horribly as she does, and I have never seen the Oil Change Required message.... but still change it every 6000 miles.

Sorry dude.

Clyde Frog, your EVIC is just showing you an oil change reminder based on miles driven since last oil change, you can change this in the options menu. I believe it goes in increments of 3000 miles.

I will require proof
The electronics required to know/learn/understand driving habits
as well as condition of oil would be very costly
However a simple odo. That is resetale is cheep

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No additional electronics necessary. It's just SOFTWARE. The PCM already knows all of that information, and gets it from several sources, such as sensors, engine temperature, throttle position, etc etc etc.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will require proof
Most oil change lights are not turned on by miles,the PCM uses pretty much the same concept program that a EVIC uses to give your average MPG's or instant MPG's.It's all about speed,distance traveled,starts/stops,rpm's seen,idle time,temp,and all those other factors.

Your PCM/TCM does "learn" your driving habits,try reading once in awhile,this tech has been around for almost 20 years now.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Most oil change lights are not turned on by miles,the PCM uses pretty much the same concept program that a EVIC uses to give your average MPG's or instant MPG's.It's all about speed,distance traveled,starts/stops,rpm's seen,idle time,temp,and all those other factors.

Your PCM/TCM does "learn" your driving habits,try reading once in awhile,this tech has been around for almost 20 years now.

:)

How long have Chrysler transmissions been learning your driving habits to base shift points on? Oh yeah... since 1989 with the A604.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it knows the condition of the oil how?
With out some major electronics
I know that they "learn" your driving habits
I am talking about knowing when the oil is broke down
and past it's useful life
I have owned more than just the above 3 with oil monitors
on them and they all do it based on a preset miles no variation
I drive my 250 like I stole it and 7500 every time on the button
it shows 0% oil life remaining
Wife drives like a grandmaw and the KJ was 3k on the button every time
Same for the VW
So now proof that some how any car/truck/SUV has a system built in
that runs some diagnostic testing on the oil to know it needs replacing
because oil that has 3000 miles on the highway looks way different than
oil that was run for 3000 miles through the desert
But the electronics have no way of knowing this

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it knows the condition of the oil how?
With out some major electronics
I know that they "learn" your driving habits
I am talking about knowing when the oil is broke down
and past it's useful life
I have owned more than just the above 3 with oil monitors
on them and they all do it based on a preset miles no variation
I drive my 250 like I stole it and 7500 every time on the button
it shows 0% oil life remaining
Wife drives like a grandmaw and the KJ was 3k on the button every time
Same for the VW
So now proof that some how any car/truck/SUV has a system built in
that runs some diagnostic testing on the oil to know it needs replacing
because oil that has 3000 miles on the highway looks way different than
oil that was run for 3000 miles through the desert
But the electronics have no way of knowing this
The KJ does not have a oil change light,the EVIC in it had a service reminder function that was 100% mileage based.

New Chryslers and GM's are not mileage based.The light turns on based on your driving habits,it does not test the oil.

Again try reading,it will save your pathetic attempts to discredit everything someone says just because your a ass.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will require proof

"Borrowed off another website to save me typing"...............

Recently, we have seen the introduction of oil monitoring systems in some vehicles, most notably in General Motors and Mercedes vehicles (although I believe BMW may have a similar system as well). The systems do not all work the same. Mercedes actually has two slightly different systems while the General Motors system is the same for all vehicles (at least those that have it installed).

Mercedes calls their unit a "Flexible Service System". The FSS on some Mercedes vehicles monitors actual oil quality as well as operating conditions (such as the number of cold starts, average engine temp, mileage driven, oil sump level, rpms, etc.). To measure oil quality, there is actually a sensor that measures the electrical conductivity of the oil. The higher the conductivity of the oil, the greater the need for an oil change, according to Mercedes. Of course, this isn't likely a perfect model, and will not be nearly as accurate as an actual oil analysis in determining true oil quality, but it is better than no measurement at all.

At any rate, as electrical conductivity increases, this value is combined with all of the operating condition data and run through a special algorithm to determine if the oil is ready for a change. When a change is necessary, a light will flash on the instrument panel indicating such.
The other Mercedes FSS unit, which will be somewhat less accurate, does not actually measure the electrical conductivity of the oil, so it is not testing the quality of the oil in any way. It does, however, measure all of the operating conditions and uses the algorithm to predict when an oil change will be necessary.

This is actually how the GM oil monitoring system works. It does not measure oil quality via electrical conductivity or via any other means. It simply measures operating conditions and "calculates" when an oil change should be necessary based upon those conditions.