Can Someone Explain How That Worked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as o8k and Corwyyn know, I've had a thunk in the front suspension for quite some time. It seems to show up braking on uneven pavement or in cornering on uneven pavement. I never had the thunk until after I removed my lift kit. However, after our monsoon yesterday, I was driving around with the Jeep in full time 4WD (which is friggin sweet by the way lol) and the thunk went away. I haven't put it back into 2WD yet, but it seems like the thunk is more related to drivetrain than suspension. Any ideas?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you shift into Select Trac the dwarf under the floor boards activates to grab the two half shafts and actually hold all the stuff together to deliver Select Trac features. That dwarf sits on a little platform with a flip up guard on the front that releases when you shift into Select Trac. I am guessing the latch on that guard is worn so every time you brake the dwarf is sliding out and bouncing on the pavement making that thunk sound. I would get it fixed as soon as possible or you might be hearing from OSHA.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the front suspension and re-torqued everything? The sway bar end links were causing some noise on mine..

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We didn't actually physically retorque them, but after looking it over a few weeks ago, it didn't seem like that was the source of the issue. I have it back in 2wd (fun, I spun the BFGs on the way to work unintentionally) and the thunk sound has not returned.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Did that dwarf look like the Travelocity Roaming Gnome, and talk with a funny accent?

Seriously though, the thunk is your Jeep trying to tell you something....it wants the lift back!

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Did that dwarf look like the Travelocity Roaming Gnome, and talk with a funny accent?"

Mine doesn't talk much but there is a family resemblance.

2003KJ

Reaction score
"Did that dwarf look like the Travelocity Roaming Gnome, and talk with a funny accent?"

Getting OT here...but I did enjoy those comericals. Especially the one where he trys to plug in an american appliance into a european outlet, and the one where he's flying through the football stadium on that mini lawn chair and hits the stadium lights and gets fried. :D

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score

...but I did enjoy those comericals. Especially the one where he trys to plug in an american appliance into a european outlet, and the one where he's flying through the football stadium on that mini lawn chair and hits the stadium lights and gets fried. :D

You must be registered for see images

"Hey, pick on someone your own size."