Can i program a blank key for KK for a KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is possible if i buy the key for a 2008+ Liberty to program it for my 2002 KJ? I know keys are different and for KK has the buttons on the key, but i have a remote starter so i dont even have the keyless entry remote for my KJ. I have the remote starter and the regular key. Does i follow the same steps, to program it?

I have two KJ keys and two remote starter controls. I dont have at all the OEM keyless entry.

Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
05+ KJs used the same style key as the KK so maybe you could

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That really would be a question for an an auto locksmith, or dealer.
As far as I know, the blanks would have to be the same # or match.
In yellow pages here, I phoned around and found a locksmith that had the programmers, and was able to make programmed keys for me.
Take your KJ key into the right place & I'm sure they can assist you better.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Can a person do the self-programming trick on an '02? I had two keys and wanted a third one. It was a simple trick to program it myself. (And not pay the dealer $150.)

The reason I mention it is that the blank I bought at Amazon only cost about $22. If it works in theory it would be worth a gamble to try it, I would think. :)

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is possible if i buy the key for a 2008+ Liberty to program it for my 2002 KJ? I know keys are different and for KK has the buttons on the key, but i have a remote starter so i dont even have the keyless entry remote for my KJ. I have the remote starter and the regular key. Does i follow the same steps, to program it?

I have two KJ keys and two remote starter controls. I dont have at all the OEM keyless entry.

Thanks

Chances are most likely you can not, the chips will be different. 05 on up uses the ID4 chip, where I believe 02-04 uses the TC5 chip.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is worth trying guys cause is true, online you can find really cheap keys with chip inside. The idea came up cause i saw on local craigslist ad a guy was selling a chrysler 300 2008 and he had both types of keys. One like the old KJ and one like the new KK. So i guess if he can make it work is worth of trying. I really dont like the old KJ keys :(

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i know, you nee the programmer and the 4 digits PIN code. If you don't have it, maybe you can trace it with yr dealer

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't work like the key dance? I did it for Chrysler 300 and I have 4 keys now

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a research and the chip inside is different between KK and KJ.

Guys to program a regular chip KJ key do I need the remote keyless? Thanks